Or sign up using Facebook

Jpod101 Store

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jeffokita
New in Town

Jpod101 Store

Postby jeffokita » June 18th, 2007 2:38 am

Hello everyone!
My name is Jeff, and I'm one of the newest additions to the JPod101 Team. I wanted to get some of YOUR feedback as to what you would like to see in our store! Let your imaginations run wild, as there are unlimited possibilities as to what we may include.
Thanks!
-Jeff

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » June 18th, 2007 1:38 pm

Electronically publish the Grammar Bank.
Maybe in iPod friendly format. text rather than pdf.
Or as a stand alone program. Stick a database front end on it to make it searchable on a computer when not online.
It was the one part of the premium subscription I consistently used. (but when push came to shove I didn't use the Premium enough to feel I wanted to continue with it. gomen~~)
Of course price would be a deciding factor in whether I'd buy it or not.
From your end the economic decision is letting people buy parts of your content piecemeal instead of buying a subscription (which is a better revenue model for jPod.)

Are you considering selling physical things?
Graded readers! I find these hard to find. recently finding some via this site published by NPO but I quickly read these. I can find Japanese books but cannot easily figure out what level they are. That would be an added value from jPod. I would be interested in buying Japanese books via jPod if you could tell me (reliably) what sort of level they are.
In fact if someone did this with links to Amazon.jp I'd buy through those links. (maybe an easier way of jPod doing this)

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » June 18th, 2007 1:59 pm

multiple postings sorry.

Another idea.
For a buck a go I might be interested in JLPT style quizzes for Apples iQuiz program on the iPod...

fill in the particle, select the definition, etc.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Re: Jpod101 Store

Postby untmdsprt » June 19th, 2007 12:14 am

jeffokita wrote:Hello everyone!
My name is Jeff, and I'm one of the newest additions to the JPod101 Team. I wanted to get some of YOUR feedback as to what you would like to see in our store! Let your imaginations run wild, as there are unlimited possibilities as to what we may include.
Thanks!
-Jeff

Well I order directly from WhiteRabbit press already. I've stuck with them because of their flash cards, and now the graded readers.

How about the iPod software as a separate purchase? How about T-shirts, hats, or Buddha forbid keychains? ;) Autographed photos of the crew, past and present with a short bio of who they are, what they've done before JPOD101, and where are they now?

You could also have bedsheets made of all the people and … no scratch that, it may cause problems with people wanting the Yoshi, Natsuko, or Sakura sheets. :D

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » June 21st, 2007 11:23 pm

and another thing...

licence Eijiro from ALC as an English friendly download.

MrStillwater
New in Town

Store

Postby MrStillwater » June 24th, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi there,

I've got a fair few ideas of things you coulld include, most of them pretty obvious such as recommended books etc. How about selling the PDFs for the lessons in a book format - I'd like to have all the beginner level ones but can't be bothered to print them all out. How about a course on learning kana/kanji?

thanks,

Mark

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Re: Store

Postby TheProfessorOne » June 25th, 2007 9:31 am

MrStillwater wrote:Hi there,

I've got a fair few ideas of things you coulld include, most of them pretty obvious such as recommended books etc. How about selling the PDFs for the lessons in a book format - I'd like to have all the beginner level ones but can't be bothered to print them all out. How about a course on learning kana/kanji?

thanks,

Mark

I am going to second this motion for sure.

If you guys had self-made JPOD101 books with each of the selected levels newbie, beginner, etc. of the .pdf files people might buy those at a decent price instead of joining as members. In some ways, you would make more money going this route depending on the price of production.

I would buy those up right away because like the poster here, I can't be bothered to print all that.
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » June 25th, 2007 10:35 am

Members are better than a book sale for JapanesePod101's ongoing finances I'd say.
However...

It might be hard to do short run printing, possibibly very short run, and make it pay.

Printing on demand might be interesting.
Like iPhoto's books, or the various companies printing books of your photo's one at a time; there are companies who will print books only when one is ordered. The author, in this case JapanesePod101, produce a pdf of the book, decide on their royalty then hand over everything to a third party to print and deliver them as and when they're ordered.

Lulu is one such company I know of. Never used them either as a purchaser or author though. Not cheap but reasonable. a 50 page book would cost around $12 plus shipping.

http://www.lulu.com/

TheProfessorOne
Established Presence

Postby TheProfessorOne » June 25th, 2007 11:34 am

Belton wrote:Members are better than a book sale for JapanesePod101's ongoing finances I'd say.
However...

It might be hard to do short run printing, possibibly very short run, and make it pay.

Printing on demand might be interesting.
Like iPhoto's books, or the various companies printing books of your photo's one at a time; there are companies who will print books only when one is ordered. The author, in this case JapanesePod101, produce a pdf of the book, decide on their royalty then hand over everything to a third party to print and deliver them as and when they're ordered.

Lulu is one such company I know of. Never used them either as a purchaser or author though. Not cheap but reasonable. a 50 page book would cost around $12 plus shipping.

http://www.lulu.com/

I agree that this route isn't the best for JPOD101 in a finacial way. I guess I was more commenting on what I would enjoy personally. Depending on the cost of production, they might make a decent amount rather than having a member sign up for a one month membership, download everything he can, and quit.

There is a trade off, and I like your idea of on demand printing. Again, I guess like all other things, cost and profit would be the focal point. If the printing wasn't too harsh on JPOD101, they could possibly be in the market for making a few extra bucks off going this route on .pdf files for lazy people like myself. :P
Guidelines | FAQ | あなたはぜっこうちょうですか?

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » June 28th, 2007 7:22 pm

I want JP101 merchandise, CD's, DVD's, pen, pencils, books, cups, key chains, JP101 energy drink, photos of the JP101 crew/staff autography, signature, photos of Japan,greeting cards, shirts, tote bags, dictionaries, ipod's with JP101 exclusive label, Japanese flags, Japanese soccer team shirt, anime/manga, video games, travel guides, etc

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » June 30th, 2007 8:01 pm

Where is Miki's Day In A Life Of A University Student? I want to buy it and download it BUT I don't see it, please let me know because I'm Miki's Fan!

I would like Miki to autography mine copy with a dedication, a picture of her and her signature. No matter the cost because it's really worth it!! 8) :wink:

Return to “Feature Requests”