a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Curriculum and Personalized Timeline

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

pauloverseas
New in Town

Postby pauloverseas » March 1st, 2007 7:53 am

I am very new to JP101, but I think the value of the content is superior to everything else I have used to study language. It is really fun and engaging! The major point lacking, and what I feel I'm now yearning for, is a structured curriculum to get me from point A to point B in a certain timeframe.

What I would envision is that a user could choose to work through all the beginner lessons over the course of say 6 months. The JP101 system then would personalize the whole experience to my needs and abilities, quiz me regularly, and track my progress... so when I login it would show me the current lesson, list the goals and objectives of the lesson, create a working "to this point" vocabulary /kanji list for me to review, allow me to review past lessons (remembering the ones where I had difficulty), and visually show me a map of where I am headed over the next few weeks and months.

This is something that would really be worth that premium membership.

Is this something that exists now that I somehow missed?.. or is it something that could be implemented?.. anyone else see the need for more planning and structure?

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » March 2nd, 2007 4:17 am

That sounds like an excellent idea, however difficult it may be to implement well. Having a dynamic interface that adapts to your learning needs would also make me consider membership. It would really take JPod and everyones Japanese ability to the next level. Good suggestion.

Get 40% OFF
dmr214
Established Presence

Postby dmr214 » March 3rd, 2007 10:46 pm

Hi,
I would like to add to what pauloverseas said.

Instead of implementing a very difficult Curriculum function/application inside the site, why not simply create "MAP" under each lesson. This would be JAPANESEPOD101's recommended lessons you should take BEFORE listening to this lesson. And you could simple click to that lesson by following the map. It's very simple to do and it has all of your relevant lessons in one place.

When I want to practice with the Lower intermediate lessons, sometimes I realize I don't know something that was taught in a previous lesson, but I have no way to find it without searching.

This way, every lesson beccomes a curriculum by itself. Basically, everything in need to know to understand up until this point!

What do you think?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » March 4th, 2007 11:11 am

pauloverseas, that would be quite an ambitious project, especially given the tech team's very small size. I'm not saying that you'll never see it or parts of it pop up, but a project of that magnitude probably isn't very feasible right now. You can currently mark lessons as complete in the Learning Center. I know that's nowhere near the level of what you're thinking of, but it could come in handy for tracking your progress.

dmr214, while that would probably be much easier to implement technically, it would involve retroactively somehow marking past episodes as prerequisite for newer episode. I agree, though, that it would be a really nice feature to have.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Feature Requests”