a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Kanji Close-up

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Maxwell
New in Town

Kanji Close-up

Postby Maxwell » February 24th, 2007 4:00 pm

When we get compound words in the kanji close-up, it would be great if we were given the reading of the individual kanji in their most basic form, where possible. Perhaps there are problems with this idea that I am unaware of, but it would help me when trying to recall compound words if I'm recalling the individual kanji's Japanese pronunciation rather than the English translation.

dmr214
Established Presence

RE: Kanji Close-up

Postby dmr214 » March 4th, 2007 12:33 am

Perhaps it would help if we had a little description telling KUN-yomi and ON-yomi?

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » March 4th, 2007 10:46 am

Well, the problem with that is kanji are very context sensitive. Most of them have many possible readings, and which one is used changes depending on things like whether they appear alone or in a compound. They even sometimes change when they're alone depending on the word. Like 行く (to go) and 行う (to do/perform/carry out). In the first word the 行 is read い(く) but in the 2nd it's read おこな(う). They don't really have a "most basic form" by themselves. So it's my and many other people's opinion here that trying to learn all of an individual kanji's readings isn't very productive or effective. It's much better to get a feel for what the general meaning of a character is and learn their readings in the context of words and compounds. So I would strongly recommend you study their readings on a word-by-word basis, as they already are on the kanji closeups, and not worry about trying to memorize a list of ON and KUN-yomi.

Any print kanji dictionary or computer Japanese dictionary will give you all the possible readings if you still want to see them. The kanji dictionary in the Learning Center does, as well. Rikaichan will show you individual kanji details if you hover over the character and press the Shift key.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

dmr214
Established Presence

Postby dmr214 » March 5th, 2007 1:58 am

Ok, you make a great point, so how about putting those kanji into context of the conversation. For example, if the readings being used in the lesson are on-yomi, perhaps you could simple list that it is an on-yomi reading (or kun-yomi reading). We don't need all of them just the ones that make sense for the lesson.

What do you think?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » March 5th, 2007 2:13 pm

I'm not really sure how knowing if a particular reading is ON or KUN-yomi would help. I really don't think it's a big deal. When we would learn new words in class, my Japanese teacher never went over whether particular kanji readings for a word were ON or KUN-yomi. And she's not the type to just skip over something for no good reason. In general, compounds use ON-yomi and standalones use KUN-yomi. One notable exception is that Japanese names pretty much always use KUN-yomi or special name-only readings.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

danieru_s
Been Around a Bit

Postby danieru_s » March 19th, 2007 12:09 am

I like the Kanji close-up, but would like to see the stroke order. I writing is terrible and I think part of it is that I'm still not 100% certain the order that I should write them.

... I see from reading more posts, this has been a popular request.

ThisistheHenry
Been Around a Bit

Postby ThisistheHenry » April 10th, 2007 4:09 pm

YesJapan.com has a nice Kanji close-up like feature (not worth purchasing a suscription for, as it only has elementary Kanji), where it gives the stroke order. It isn't perfect, but stroke order for at least the first levels of Jouyou kanji would be nice to have here as well, since most of the further Kanji stroke order can be figured out once you start to get the pattern.

kichigaijin
Established Presence

Postby kichigaijin » May 9th, 2007 10:32 pm

It'd be nice if Kanji Close up was it's own thing, independent of the lessons, but referenced to in the pdfs of particular lessons.

Kind of like an electronic/pdf version of the Hadamitzky Spahn "Kanji & Kana" books with a more detailed stroke order presentation & more practice squares. It would be nice to have numbered kanji to provide a progression, the detailed stroke order, and some common examples of pronunciation for the kanji in use.

At the very least it would be awesome if we had a template sheet of practice squares that we could print off and use. Haven't had much luck finding practice pads.

ThisistheHenry
Been Around a Bit

Postby ThisistheHenry » May 10th, 2007 2:08 am

Yes, some practice sheets would be nice... although I would like it if they could be made in grey, not black; ink is expensive!
=)

Zarmao
New in Town

Postby Zarmao » August 21st, 2007 10:35 pm

My number one request (actually my only request at this point) would also be for the Kanji Close-up feature to be enchanced.

Definately stroke order is needed. I was so surprised when I saw the practice pages lacked stroke order. It is such a norm to include it.

It would also be very nice if each kanji had a couple of reference numbers such as the Heisig number or the Henshall number. It would make it a lot easier for learners to cross reference with other texts and flash cards.

Spiderwick
Been Around a Bit

Postby Spiderwick » December 5th, 2009 4:20 pm

I suppose I'm really only chorusing a lot of points made here already, but I just want to say even if adding the stroke order is difficult a refernece to, say, the RabbitPress Kanji Card number would really be helpful. Everytime I do a Close-up I try to find the card as I want to get the correct order. This takes me some time and I'm not always successful :cry: . I really want to get better at Kanji. I do enjoy the lesson I just think stoke order or perhaps a reference would really excel the learning experience :)
Barbara

peachrules
Been Around a Bit

Postby peachrules » March 7th, 2010 3:50 am

I'd really like to see some more emphasis on the kanji too. It's really important and I think it is this site's biggest flaw. I do like the video kanji lessons, but I just wish there were more enhanced practice sheets. It doesn't all have to fit on one page!

(Sorry for bumping this)

tanitayou
Been Around a Bit

Postby tanitayou » March 7th, 2010 9:39 am

If you really need to print an empty kanji grid you can easily find sites to create the pdf .
about the stroke order in kanji close up, i agrre that would be really helpful for advanced learnes too.
i hope that Jpod team consider our feedback.

Return to “Feature Requests”