Or sign up using Facebook

一緒に食べませんか。 - Shall we eat together?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

digitaljo
Been Around a Bit

Postby digitaljo » April 28th, 2006 4:27 am

I love Japanese food especially in Japan. :D

What I find amazing is the vending machines for the restaurants. Insert your money into the vending machine, pick what you want, and out comes a ticket. You give your ticket to the people behind the counter and wait. They serve it to you really fast. Do they have a name for this style of service?

It's really helpful that the restaurants have the models of the food and the menu outside so you can see what looks good to eat. I heard they are expensive to make. Is that true?

A couple of friends and I passed by a yakitori stand in Yokosuka. There was a machine that held the sticks and it goes round and round, you pick it up and you just start eating. You put your finished sticks in an empty container then you give the container to the hostess, she counts then tells you how much you have to pay. I only saw this in Yokosuka, are there any other places like this?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: 一緒に食べませんか。 - Shall we eat together?

Postby Jason » April 28th, 2006 6:04 am

digitaljo wrote:A couple of friends and I passed by a yakitori stand in Yokosuka. There was a machine that held the sticks and it goes round and round, you pick it up and you just start eating. You put your finished sticks in an empty container then you give the container to the hostess, she counts then tells you how much you have to pay. I only saw this in Yokosuka, are there any other places like this?

I don't know about yakitori (which is some really good stuff, btw if anyone's never tried it), but I know they have a similar kind of concept in some sushi bars. Food is constantly run by the tables on a conveyor belt. Each plate is color coded to designate it's price, and they add up your plates when you finish. There is a place that has been opening sushi bars like this outside of Japan, but I can't remember their name. I know there's one in London.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF
esp
Been Around a Bit

Re: 一緒に食べませんか。 - Shall we eat together?

Postby esp » April 28th, 2006 10:56 am

Jason wrote:
digitaljo wrote:There is a place that has been opening sushi bars like this outside of Japan, but I can't remember their name. I know there's one in London.

They're called 'yo sushi', I saw a few in london the last time I went

Solvi
Established Presence

Sounds familiar

Postby Solvi » April 28th, 2006 9:39 pm

I think I saw a show about Yo Sushi on television some time ago, the one in London, that is. Sounds great not having to decide how much you want before you start eating!

Btw, I've never tasted sushi... Only seen pictures :oops:

digitaljo
Been Around a Bit

Postby digitaljo » April 29th, 2006 9:12 pm

The first time I remember seeing a kaitenzushi (sushi on the conveyor belt) place was an episode of Mr. Bean. I really wanted to go to one after seeing that.
There was here is video of a kaitenzushi in Osaka that I found. Well, you can at least experience how a piece of maguro feels. :lol: Kaitenzushi Video

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » June 21st, 2006 5:20 pm

Yo! Sushi in Edinburgh is gone... My guidebook gave me the address, but when I found it there was only a large, empty building :(

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”