a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Karaoke - suggestions please

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Alan
Expert on Something

Karaoke - suggestions please

Postby Alan » November 12th, 2006 4:22 pm

I enjoy singing along with various jpop CDs and anime opening/closing songs and am attempting to find karaoke versions for some of these, with mixed success. I'm also on the lookout for new songs to try. I've got the Karaoke version of the Kinki Kids singles and am considering looking to see if SMAP have released a Karaoke version of their singles (Although I feel a lot of their songs are a bit too similar). However maybe there are some better suggestions out there. Which songs are popularly sung by men in Japan? (not counting Elvis)

Actually some of my favourite songs have come from Anime and are sung by females. e.g. Poi Poi Peace, which is Tomo-chans character song from the Azumanga Dioh vocal collection. I'm also currently keen on 'Reflection' by Megumi Hayashibara, which is the Slayers Great ending theme, both of which aren't too feminine and I could probably get away with. Anyone know of any good anime male songs. Generally I prefer more dynamic songs with lots of lines, because they're more fun to translate.

Karaoke versions often appear on CD singles, which tend to have a short shelf life. I might be able to get some of these second hand (and practice my japanese emailing skills) I've spotted some as dodgy downloads, but would prefer to get the CDs if possible.

Alan :)

NB. As well as the Kinki Kids Karaoke CD, I've got:
Karaoke Candypot 90's & Karaoke Candypot 2000
Uta Uua (The Doreme children's TV series song album)
There's also karaoke versions of the anime opening/closing songs on the Mahoromatic Soundtrack albums, but these aren't suitable to be sung by a man. Similarly there's karaoke versions of the opening/closing songs on the Punipuni poemi soundtrack, which aren't suitable to be sung by anyone, but there's a great radio play on that disc. Why are all the anime karaoke versions I've got unsuitable? Don't answer that.

Edit: I've just ordered a secondhand CD single for Reflection from animejungle. Well hopefully. I've had mixed experiences using my credit card for foreign internet orders. Also cdjapan appears to have the azumanga cd singles (assuming they actually can get them); so I might be getting the tomo-chan one. Maybe also the chiyo-chan one, if it has the tsukurimashou song.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Karaoke - suggestions please

Postby Bueller_007 » November 13th, 2006 5:12 am

I don't much care for Japanese music, so my suggestions are sure to be pretty basic.

But the songs I always hear Japanese guys sing at karaoke are "Kampai" (乾杯) by Nagabuchi Tsuyoshi (長渕剛) and "Shima-uta" (島唄) by THE BOOM. Japanese people don't seem to be completely sick of "Sekai ni Hitotsu Dake no Hana" (世界に一つだけの花) by SMAP yet either.

Another good one is "Ue wo Muite Arukou" (上を向いて歩こう) by Sakamoto Kyuu (坂本九). This song is usually called "Sukiyaki" in the West, for some reason.

A good (enka) song is "Hakodate no Hito" (函館の女) by Kitajima Saburou (北島三郎).

Most of my Japanese friends can speak English pretty well though, so they usually just end up singing English stuff. David Bowie and Queen seem to be popular for some reason, at least in my crowd.

Get 40% OFF
Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » November 13th, 2006 7:07 am

Buellerさん, thanks for the suggestions. A quick google search returned lots of hits, including quite a few japanese karaoke specalist companies. I'm going to hunt down some clips on hmv.co.jp to see if I like the tracks and then go on a lyric hunt :)

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » November 20th, 2006 6:16 pm

The used CD singles I bought from Jungle in Osaka turned up today in excellent condition, despite my local postie managing to jam the package halfway through the letter box :lol: I can see me being a repeat customer.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”