Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Magicians? Fishing? Cultural Traditions? Arigato Gozaimasu!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Jokermagician9085
New in Town

Magicians? Fishing? Cultural Traditions? Arigato Gozaimasu!

Postby Jokermagician9085 » September 10th, 2010 9:35 pm

Konnichiwa! Watashi wa Casey desu. Genki desu ka? I just joined Japanesepod101 a few days ago, so, I'm still a beginning beginner, haha. I was just curious if anyone knew if magicians were any part of Japanese traditional culture? I know that sounds weird, but I'm a magician and would like to someday perform in Japan, but I would just like to know if there's already a 'magic culture' out there I don't know about. Arigato gozaimasu!

Also, I know fishing is an important part of Japanese culture/tradition, but does anyone know how much they rely upon that compared to livestock or other types of food?

Ja mata!

Belton
Expert on Something

Re: Magicians? Fishing? Cultural Traditions? Arigato Gozaima

Postby Belton » September 11th, 2010 5:16 pm

Jokermagician9085 wrote:
Also, I know fishing is an important part of Japanese culture/tradition, but does anyone know how much they rely upon that compared to livestock or other types of food?

Ja mata!

After rice seafood would be the next staple food. (imo)
A traditional breakfast would have rice miso nori and grilled fish.

If you go into a neighbourhood supermarket the seafood section will be quite large, with a huge variety of fresh fish, sushi, sashimi, cooked fish, frozen fish. By comparison the meat section is quite small.
The cuts of meat are smaller and have more fat on them (than the UK for instance) It mostly seems to be pork or chicken. beef and lamb are rarer. That said some of the best beef I've eaten was in Japan. In a waste not want not fashion offal is more popular as well. I think meat is more expensive than fish.
I don't think most of Japan is very suitable for livestock farming. (Maybe Hokkaido)

Yakiniku cooked at the table is a special occasion dish at my in-laws. Fish would be eaten almost daily.
I never saw whole chickens or turkeys or joints of meat for roasting. This may be because a lot of households probably don't have ovens (or don't use them), doing most of their cooking on the stovetop (and in the microwave and rice cooker)

I don't know about magic. It would surprise me if there wasn't a magic culture somewhere. There's definitely a performing culture. The Japanese seem to be the most enthusiastic hobbyists, if it can made into a hobby there will be Japanese into it, and a TV show segment and magazine about it.

I found these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKFKvmYPZ8Q
I think this is Cyril Takayama who grew up in the US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Takayama

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUxHSQS9g5c
a small stunt but funny.

Get 40% OFF
Jokermagician9085
New in Town

Postby Jokermagician9085 » September 11th, 2010 7:54 pm

Thank you very much for all of the information Belton. I truly appreciate it. And Cyril is actually the reason I was questioning if they had any sort of magic culture. Cyril's stuff is quite amazing and is also very entertaining. So, arigato gozaimasu and ja mata.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”