Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

anime for a girl who doesn't like anime?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

arancarlisle
Been Around a Bit

Non-Typical Anime

Postby arancarlisle » October 5th, 2006 3:39 pm

Genshiken!

I am generally not a big fan of popular anime shows, but I do like Studio Ghibli films, and I enjoyed Tokyo Godfathers. My favorite anime show so far has been Genshiken, because it is so solidly based in reality.

What I also like about Genshiken is that it is a good introduction to Japanese college culture as well as "otaku culture."

My second favorite anime is "His and Her Circumstances". It is also a show based on reality. However it is VERY fast paced and somewhat crazy, so it would not be a good place to practice listening comprehension. But it is a really cool show for the first 6-7 episodes.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » October 5th, 2006 4:40 pm

When I first watched Genshiken, I hadn't been into anime and such for very long, but I still really enjoyed it. But when I watched it again maybe a year or so later it was a completely different experience. It was like "ZOMG! It's just like me and my friends! XD" It made it so much funnier.

It's a shame they never finished the Karekano (aka, His and Her Circumstances) anime. I heard somewhere the production people ran out of money. Unfortunately it really shows in the later episodes where some of them, and I'm not exaggerating here, are at least 1/2 flashbacks of stuff from previous episodes. It's annoying. I guess I should pick up the manga sometime.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”