Or sign up using Facebook

Piano in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Pete171
New in Town

Piano in Japan

Postby Pete171 » May 8th, 2008 8:10 pm

Hey,

Just a quick question. I'm a pianist very interested in Japanese language/culture and I hope at some point to travel there (and possibly work for half a year or so, provided I can get the necessary permits).

What would my oppertunities as a pianist be over there? Would it be impossible to find work playing in restaurants/hotels/bars or anywhere similar? It's just a guess, but I assume private tutoring would be out of the question for several reasons.

Any advice would be great. Thanks people. :)

Edit: My apologies, I've only just this second noticed the 'Working in Japan' Forum. My bad.

Pete.

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » May 9th, 2008 10:59 am

I could find only two ads on the following site which are recruiting for a piano teacher but not a player.

http://www.gaijinpot.com/job_search.php ... ion=search

Get 40% OFF
cwabbott
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby cwabbott » May 9th, 2008 3:27 pm

Pete,

Good luck! I know teaching lessons is a possibility. Just don't go to Maebashi to teach piano lessons, or else you will be competing with one of the best pianists in all of Japan, my fiance's mother :wink:

Perhaps you could double as a piano and english teacher. Just be sure to use some of the material at Englishpod101.com :D

ganbatte!

Charles
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin, The Seekers

Pete171
New in Town

Postby Pete171 » May 12th, 2008 6:29 pm

Well I don't even know where Maebashi is, so please, don't worry about me running into any competition! :p But seriously, thanks for the reply. :)

Can anybody tell me how I might advertise as a teacher? In local Japanese papers and stuff maybe? It's just a fleeting idea right now; I probably won't be going there for a couple of years or so but I'd still like to figure out my options well in advance.

Cheers. Uhm, I mean... ありがとございます。I think I got it right. :)

thomasz
New in Town

Postby thomasz » June 19th, 2008 8:05 am

Yes, of cause. That's great for you.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » June 20th, 2008 8:08 am

Most areas have community notice boards - you might want to try advertising there. I am not sure if you need permission or can just stick up a notice.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”