Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Best and Worst Food of Tokyo

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » June 2nd, 2008 4:42 am

jkid wrote:Outback Steakhouse: http://www.outbacksteakhouse.co.jp/en/menu/index.html

Wow, the food is so good.

Sorry but you need to get out more - whilst it is good it is no different from Outback anywhere else...

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » June 2nd, 2008 11:29 am

Sorry but you need to get out more - whilst it is good it is no different from Outback anywhere else...

I'll pay that. I've never been to Outback anywhere else so.. Plus, when I had it I really felt like a steak as I hadn't had one in a while so I guess that factors in :)

Get 40% OFF
visual_gaze
Been Around a Bit

Postby visual_gaze » January 31st, 2009 7:07 am

untmdsprt wrote:Hmm, worse Japanese food? Has got to be nattou for me.

I agree. im a die hard Japanese food lover and i love all and any Japanese food but nattou, just not my kind of dish. It seems that many foreigners dislike nattou the most yet the Japanese LOVE it. at least all the ones i met.

greenmachine
New in Town

Postby greenmachine » February 11th, 2009 8:47 am

I was in Tokyo last Nov/Dec, and I was taken to some really good places to eat, and I found some myself. 2 standouts were La Rochelle which is Iron Chef French Sakai Hiroyuki's restaurant. Not cheap if you're on a budget. I went for lunch which was more affordable than dinner. It's French/Japanese fusion, and truly amazing. This was the only really expensive place I went to eat though.
Another favourite was an Izakaya that I don't know the name of, but THIS is a link to google maps street view. Really good tebaski, potato furai and Umeshu Soda. All round good Izakaya food (My Favourite)

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » February 11th, 2009 1:54 pm

visual_gaze wrote:I agree. im a die hard Japanese food lover and i love all and any Japanese food but nattou, just not my kind of dish. It seems that many foreigners dislike nattou the most yet the Japanese LOVE it. at least all the ones i met.

I love natto actually, as does my wife's whole family. I didn't like it at first, but one day, after years of being together with my wife, and I just tried and loved it. Shows how much of it is mental.
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » February 11th, 2009 1:58 pm

Also, you can't go wrong going into any famiresu in Japan. I went to one random family restaurant in a remote part of Kanagawa with the family, and we ate real good that night. My daughter loved her kid's meal and Anpanman, and I loved the free coke refills and delicious udon. :D

Taurus
Expert on Something

Re: Best and Worst Food of Tokyo

Postby Taurus » February 12th, 2009 6:28 pm

gamblerumble wrote:It was pieces of chicken separated by cartilage! Are you supposed to eat the cartilage? because it was essentially unchewable for me.

Ha ha, this happened to me. I grabbed a whole skewer and stuck most of it in my mouth before realising I'd have to chow down on a load of cartilage. My wife reckons Japanese people really like it because of its texture - and I think in general Japanese people have a much greater appreciation of the roles that texture and shape play in the enjoyment of food.

Other surprising foodstuffs I've eaten in Tokyo include shrimp-heads and raw cow's liver. But my own recommendations for the best food in Tokyo would be an amazing Tempura restaurant in Akasaka. But I'm still trying to find out the name.

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » February 13th, 2009 2:50 pm

Taurus wrote:Ha ha, this happened to me. I grabbed a whole skewer and stuck most of it in my mouth before realising I'd have to chow down on a load of cartilage. My wife reckons Japanese people really like it because of its texture - and I think in general Japanese people have a much greater appreciation of the roles that texture and shape play in the enjoyment of food.

Yeah, I've noticed Japanese are more inclined to eat cartilage and such from a chicken bone than I ever was. Waste not, I guess.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » February 19th, 2009 2:32 pm

Taurus wrote:But my own recommendations for the best food in Tokyo would be an amazing Tempura restaurant in Akasaka. But I'm still trying to find out the name.

I *think* it's this one. It's definitely called Tenshige, but there seem to be several tempura restaurants called Tenshige.

Actually, I just checked the photos, and this is the chef (her English is very good, by the way).

So yeah, anyone who wants a delicious meal in Akasaka should definitely check out Tenshige (天茂).

My favourite bit was watching her cut the heads off the still wriggling shrimp before swishing the tails around in batter and then hot oil, and then serving them immediately. And then a bit later on she cooked the heads, too - it was my first time eating shrimp heads and I didn't think it would be polite to decline (because the chef is right in front of you and serves the food right on your plate).

kimncris
New in Town

Postby kimncris » March 26th, 2009 12:39 am

we ate the cartilage. We actually got a whole dish of it. (no actual meat)

it wasn't the best thing I've ever eaten, but not the worst either. Very crunchy.

Now the Chicken Stomachs and Chicken Skin skewers. Those were awesome. SO tasty.

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » March 26th, 2009 12:58 am

That Tenshige place sounds really good! I'll have to try it out sometime!

I'm not a fan of the cartilage either. Or the chicken skin.. :(
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

jackrandomsx
New in Town

Postby jackrandomsx » March 31st, 2010 1:47 pm

Fedgrub wrote:A place I really enjoyed in Shinjuku was www.sangokuichi.co.jp Tasty meals, good service, nice layout. Nothing super flash, but it was good enough to eat at 4 times.

Yes! the udon and soba here are fantastic! The only issue I have is that the english menu that i got in 2009 was obviously truncated. In 2008, this was not the case.

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”