a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Best MOS Burger locations...

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

arancarlisle
Been Around a Bit

Best MOS Burger locations...

Postby arancarlisle » May 2nd, 2006 10:05 pm

I really enjoyed going to MOS Burger, but found that some locations were MUCH better than others.

Downtown Kyoto, and Akihabara, Tokyo were the best two locations for me. Both used real glass for their drinks and had all the special touches that made MOS Burger such a special place. Akihabara even gave out rubberized coasters for your drinks.

I also went to a MOS Burger in a subway mall in Osaka, and it wasn't nearly as good -- plastic cups, food was immediately given to me and it was kind of a typical small fast food restaurant.

Also, I thought the "fresh burger" was the best burger on the menu. I really appreciated that the burger was small enough that I had enough room for dessert ... a macha ice cream sundae with mochi balls.

Peter
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Peter » May 3rd, 2006 6:28 am

Arancarlisle-san,

Thanks for the GREAT thread! For me the best location is in Kunitachi, Tokyo, for no other reason that it is close to my home. :wink: However, your thread has planted a seed in my head, and I think that I might have to go on an expedition. Please expect follow-ups to this post.
BTW, Nathan had MOS for the first time the other day, and he said, "Good, but it's pretty small."
As for me, Mos cheese burger, onion rings, and sometimes the spicy Mos cheese burger.
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Get 40% OFF
arancarlisle
Been Around a Bit

Postby arancarlisle » May 3rd, 2006 4:21 pm

At the MOS Burger places I went, there was one item that was only advertised on special posters. It cost about 1000 yen and I think it had an egg and some special sauce that came in a separate container -- like a French dip.

Sadly, I didn't get a chance to try it, but we were very curious to know what the name of it was -- it was kanji, so I couldn't decode it. We jokingly called it the "big kahuna", but if anyone has ever eated it I would like to hear a report.

---
Also, Peter-san, in the Kyoto MOS Burger we noticed many, many fellow gaijin tourists eating. We had to believe that they were there due to having heard about it on JapanesePod101!

The Frankensteiner
Expert on Something

Postby The Frankensteiner » May 3rd, 2006 4:39 pm

Was it like a hamburger with a fried egg on it or something?
You can get that at a local burger place here but I've never been brave enough to try it. :?
Find out what it's like to live, work and play in Japan!
http://guzenmedia.com/

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 12th, 2007 4:11 am

Just how small is the MOS burger? Is it the size of a White Castle/Krystal hamburger, here in the states?

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » January 21st, 2009 11:13 am

I have never been to White Castle myself (grew up on the West Coast where they didn't have it), but speaking from experience I can eat about 3 Mos burgers before feeling full. They're pretty tiny, but really darn good, and really not very expensive either.

Incidentally, the survival phrase lesson on ordering fast food was immensely helpful my last trip there. Helped at McDonald's as well (thank you!).
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

tarao
New in Town

Postby tarao » January 21st, 2009 8:59 pm

3 burgers to be full? Or they are very cheap or you will spend a lot there.
What do you eat and drink when you go there and what does it cost you in total?
I´m curious to see the diference in price from eating a good burger here in spain.

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » January 22nd, 2009 2:57 pm

tarao wrote:3 burgers to be full? Or they are very cheap or you will spend a lot there.
What do you eat and drink when you go there and what does it cost you in total?
I´m curious to see the diference in price from eating a good burger here in spain.

I can't remember. I've only eaten there twice in 2 years. The burgers are about 700 - 1100 yen I think (can someone confirm?). It is a bit higher-price than other burger restaraunts in Japan, but you can taste the difference. They use organic ingredients, have vegetarian dishes, and other higher-quality goods. That's why they're popular: they're the nicer burger place. Besides that, I just drink a coke and a small "furai poteito" (fried potato -> "french fries" or "chips")

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » January 23rd, 2009 2:10 am

A little mosinformation in this thread (wocka wocka wocka). The burgers are in the 300-450 yen range and usually about 600-750 after you upgrade to a set. The coasters and glasses are available at pretty much every mos burger I've been to, but sometimes they decide to hand out paper cups instead. I have no idea why they do that.
Mos burgers aren't that big, but they're quite a bit larger than White Castle or Krystals and they come with a lot more toppings. If it takes you three to get full, you need to give Gal Sone a call.
Also, I should be seeing a lot more love for the ebi-katsu burger on this thread. The McD's version is terrible and the lotteria version is ok, but Mos's ebi katsu burger is transcendent.
And if you want a really good burger in Japan, go to Kua Aina. They're only in the Tokyo metro area (besides one in Osaka) but they're great Hawaiian burgers.

jkid

Postby jkid » January 28th, 2009 6:11 pm

For anyone interested the menu for MOS burger can be found here: http://www.mos.co.jp/menu/all/ (Japanese only).

if you want a really good burger in Japan, go to Kua Aina

I've been wanting to go for some time, hopefully I will get to check it out soon. Are their burgers a similar size to those at MOS?

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » January 28th, 2009 7:52 pm

They're definitely bigger. I think they come in 1/3 lb and 1/2 lb sizes.

jkid

Postby jkid » January 29th, 2009 5:03 am

They're definitely bigger. I think they come in 1/3 lb and 1/2 lb sizes.

Thanks for the fast response. :)

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » January 29th, 2009 11:28 am

zakojanai wrote:Mos burgers aren't that big, but they're quite a bit larger than White Castle or Krystals and they come with a lot more toppings. If it takes you three to get full, you need to give Gal Sone a call.

Ha ha ha, ouch. :p I admit 3 burgers is a lot, but speaking form experience recently I ate two chicken fillets (excellent) and some fries and it just didn't do it for me. Excellent as usual, but not quite filling. So, I figure 3 burgers (minus the fries) would be enough.

Gal Sone is a whole other level though. :)

Return to “Japanese Food & Entertainment”