a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

お正月(oshougatsu) New Years

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

asahi_nysurf
Been Around a Bit

お正月(oshougatsu) New Years

Postby asahi_nysurf » December 25th, 2006 4:47 pm

So with the Xmas season nearly behind us... It's almost time to step into a new year... I was wondering for all you experts out there how intense is new years in Japan? I'm from New York and I will be visiting some friends for the new year...got me a rail pass and all and I have a feeling it is going to be crazy (but fun)! 皆さん教えてください!

I look forward to hearing some of your responses.

Also, if anyone would like to put there 2 cents in as to what would be a popular gift to give in terms of sweets or whatever, please let me know. Based on your experiences ne...

:wink: お先にありがとうございます

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 26th, 2006 12:29 am

If you're looking to bring sweets from the States- reeses peanut butter cups!!!!!
they don't do the peanut butter chocolate combo here. when i've given them as omiyage they've gone over really well. (though, I usually end up eating a lot of them myself). Otherwise, any cookies (other than Oreos) would be good. I usually hit Trader Joes, and buy things like energy bars, fruit leather, and various cookies. Also, flavored teas are good. (If Japan would just get Trader Joes, or atleast TJs stock, I could stay here forever.)

Traveling at New Years--- on the bullet train, expect to be standing. December 28th-January 3rd at least is prime travel season.

If you're here on January 1, the mystery bags are a big attraction. The popular stores will be packed. The shrines will usually be pretty crowded on January 1st, but the Tokyo at least tends to be a bit dead-er than usual.

Get 40% OFF
asahi_nysurf
Been Around a Bit

Postby asahi_nysurf » December 26th, 2006 5:45 am

You my dear are a genius.

'nuff said.

asahi_nysurf
Been Around a Bit

Postby asahi_nysurf » December 26th, 2006 6:04 am

I'll post this ちょっと 恥かしかった:oops:

Hey I really appreciate the advice anne! Those mystery bags look really good... hmmm I might have to hit that up with extreme predjudice....

I was wondering Annie, have you ever seen Steaks given as gifts? http://www.1worldglobalgifts.com/japang ... quette.htm

I just got a bunch of omaha steaks from a friend and trust me it just might come in handy.. wo wo

Thank you in advance Annie :wink:   

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 26th, 2006 6:16 am

No problem.
the bags are called fukubukuro 福袋... a lucky bag

about steaks...
First, I'd check with customs to see if you're allowed to transport meat into Japan. But, even if they say it's okay, most people here aren't eating American beef.

That said, the average Japanese person would find an American sized steak to be one of the strangest things they've ever seen. An Omaha steak would probably feed a family of 4 here.

Any Americans your visiting though would be beyond happy though. (see previous paragraph about the size of steaks here)

And I'd suggest wrapping your gifts here, since they gift-wrapping tends to not hold up well during air travel.

And one more New Years suggestion. The banks literally shut down for a few days, as do the ATMs. Unfortunately, I haven't set foot in a bank in ages, so I'm not sure what the holiday is this year.

asahi_nysurf
Been Around a Bit

Postby asahi_nysurf » December 26th, 2006 1:25 pm

Someone applaud this woman.

パチパチパチ

Return to “Visiting Japan”