Train Fare Help Please

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

impudicus
New in Town

Train Fare Help Please

Postby impudicus » December 16th, 2006 5:35 am

今日は皆さん、

私の初めてポストです。
And that just about covers all the Japanese I can write...

I am currently arranging a 3 month trek from Akankohan to Ishigaki and I am in need of some expert insight into the prices of train travel about Japan.

I have twelve destinations with accommodations plotted along the way and intend to spend a week in each place. Give or take a day or two to allow for travel time.

I've been looking at the Japan Rail Pass and am wondering if it is in my interest to acquire. 57, 700 円 for 21 days would only cover the first 3 weeks (one fourth) of my sojourn. I'd need to purchase four of these for unfettered locomotion, if such purchase is possible to do.

So I guess the big Q is... Will it cost me more or less than 230,800 円 ( the cost of four staggered rail passes) to travel from end to end of Japan on the rails ?

I tried to dechipher the timetable PDFs made available on the Japan Rail website, but was unsure as how it was meant to be read. And they were in English too !

Any insight anyone can give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Fer instance: How much does it cost to travel from Tokyo to Obihiro in Hokkaido by train ?

I'm thinking that the Japan Yokoso Air Pass(es) at 10,000 円 a hop would be the much more sensible option. It chagrins me to say as such though, as I think the rails would be the greater adventure.

有り難う御座います
ーRobin

P.S. I've been listening to JapanesePod101 since the beginning and it has helped me more than any other resource I've employed in my learning of the Japanese language.

I would like it if Yoshi さん would come drinkin' with me.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Train Fare Help Please

Postby Bueller_007 » December 16th, 2006 7:28 am

No. You'd have to be crazy to get Japan Rail Pass at that price. If time is not a concern, you can get from one end of Japan to the other (by land) for like 50,000 yen. (Not including the Ryukyus, obviously.)

JR Pass is not designed for people who are going to be relaxing in one city for a long time, it's designed for tourists who need to get around Japan quickly. Besides. Ishigaki is an island. You'd have to fly there. And Hokkaido's train system isn't very good (by Japanese standards). If you're really interested in getting around Hokkaido, I recommend renting a car.

While you're in Hokkaido anyway, you should go to Shiretoko. It's easily the most pleasant place on the island for nature. The Northern Alps (in Chubu) and Yakushima (south of Kagoshima) are also both worth a stop.

Try this website for timetables and prices:
www.jorudan.co.jp

Get 40% OFF
impudicus
New in Town

Postby impudicus » December 16th, 2006 8:24 pm

Bueller_007 さん、

返事は、有り難う。
Also thank you for your recommendations and the link.
You have been a great help.

ーRobin

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 17th, 2006 5:57 am

impudicus wrote:Bueller_007 さん、

返事は、有り難う。
Also thank you for your recommendations and the link.
You have been a great help.

ーRobin

No problem.

www.japan-guide.com is the most valuable website around for planning a trip to Japan. You might want to give that a try as well.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 17th, 2006 12:13 pm

transportation costs in Japan are astronomical.

traveling by bus is a lot cheaper than the train.
unfortunately most of the internet information on buses is in Japanese.
you can go from Tokyo to Kyoto on the overnight bus for 5000yen... the shinkansen is more than twice that. as to the cost of the JR pass... a 7 day pass is about the same price as a round trip ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto.

if you'll be here during a japanese school holiday period you might enjoy the seishun juuhachi kippu http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html... same site that Buellerさん gave you.... this is a great ticket for people with more time than money.

you don't need to choose just one method of transportation. you can fly some places and take the train to others.

impudicus
New in Town

Postby impudicus » December 19th, 2006 8:55 am

annieさん、
手伝ってくれてありがとう
ーRobin

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 19th, 2006 4:13 pm

impudicus wrote:annieさん、
手伝ってくれてありがとう
ーRobin

問題じゃない.
楽しんで!have fun, let us know how your trip works out.

Return to “Visiting Japan”