Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Wireless broadband in Japan? Wimax/iburst?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

JeremyCade
New in Town

Wireless broadband in Japan? Wimax/iburst?

Postby JeremyCade » November 2nd, 2006 1:24 pm

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are both currently use wireless broadband Internet here in Australia. She will be returning to Japan for 3 months during her university break and she needs to find a suitable mobile Internet solution. Ideally a laptop wimax or iburst connection.

So my question is, does anyone know of a good wireless Internet provider in Japan?

She will need to be able to access the Internet whilst on the move between the Tokyo and Niigata regions.

Thanks for your help.

patchmonkey
Been Around a Bit

Postby patchmonkey » November 16th, 2006 8:38 pm

All the major cellular providers provide wireless internet services. That's pretty much your only option at this point, the other wireless services I know are very much localized.

Of course, that's assuming that she's Japanese - it's going to be a lot harder for her to get any service if she's not, because she'll need a gaijin card and all.

Get 40% OFF
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » November 17th, 2006 12:03 am

patchmonkey wrote:All the major cellular providers provide wireless internet services. That's pretty much your only option at this point, the other wireless services I know are very much localized.

Of course, that's assuming that she's Japanese - it's going to be a lot harder for her to get any service if she's not, because she'll need a gaijin card and all.

Actually, you just made me think of something.

If she's Japanese, and her family has broadband internet like Yahoo or NTTs own service, then a lot of places allow you to log in with your account credentials. You can sign in with your BB account at most (if not all) McDonald's for free, and many large train stations have cafes where you can sign on with your NTT credentials.

Otherwise, most (if not all) Seattle's Best Coffee stores in Japan offer free wireless internet connections.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 11th, 2009 12:08 pm

Return to “Visiting Japan”