Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Anything i should Visit when i visit Okinawa and Nagasaki?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

fotoboi
New in Town

Anything i should Visit when i visit Okinawa and Nagasaki?

Postby fotoboi » November 2nd, 2006 2:22 am

HI People....

I just love this site... OMG it's like you learn so much. I will be visitn japan basically just Okinawa and Nagasaki. I work on a cruise and this is the places that i am going to visit.. so is there anything I should do? I know they are not a Big city like Tokyo.. but would love to at least walk around.... thank you. any info would be helpful :O)
('_' )( '_')

michael c.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Anything i should Visit when i visit Okinawa and Nagasak

Postby Bueller_007 » November 2nd, 2006 4:04 am

fotoboi wrote:HI People....

I just love this site... OMG it's like you learn so much. I will be visitn japan basically just Okinawa and Nagasaki. I work on a cruise and this is the places that i am going to visit.. so is there anything I should do? I know they are not a Big city like Tokyo.. but would love to at least walk around.... thank you. any info would be helpful :O)
('_' )( '_')

michael c.

Nagasaki is a nice city. You can do a walking tour of most of the historical sites in a single day.

Just do a search on japan-guide.com, and they'll tell you what's good.

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » November 3rd, 2006 9:37 pm

I hear sataa andagi (Okinawan donut thingies) are really nice. My Mom and I made some once from a recipe I found online. They were good, but I doubt it tasted the same as the real thing would. Ours tasted kind of like sweet hush puppies.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » November 4th, 2006 2:44 am

And on the topic of food, "champon" is one of the Nagasaki specialties, and "goya champuru" is one of the Okinawan specialties.

Both very good.

patchmonkey
Been Around a Bit

Postby patchmonkey » November 16th, 2006 8:31 pm

Be careful where you get the champon though - some places will "dumb it down" for foreigners.

I got into an argument at a restaurant about the way it was supposed to be made - they were making it differently for Japanese than they were for me.

Another Okinawan specialty is American Chain fast food. :lol:

kichigaijin
Established Presence

Postby kichigaijin » May 11th, 2007 8:18 pm

this is probably way too late, but i figure i'll post it in case anyone else gets curious.

never been to anywhere in japan besides okinawa
just got back from okinawa over the weekend so the info's current

fun places:
really depends where you're staying, especially if you're not renting a car.
up north you've got the aquarium, okuma, nago, nago pineapple park, hiji falls
central you've got kitanakagusuku castle ruins, chatan, sunabe, goya jujiro (though it's fallen off a bit). chatan's the most important one with the ferris wheel, tons of shopping, and a couple nice beaches- okinawa's #1 hotspot imho.
in the south you've got naha- with okinawan peace park, kokusaidori, downtown naha, ameku, shuri castle, and a few other hot spots.

food:
taco rice is everywhere, it is the awesome you need to try it
tonkatsu is an okinawan favorite, chatan has a nice place right on 58
okinawa soba (aka so-ki soba: pork soba); really good place called kame soba on 330 around Okinawa city
chanpuru- goya's my favorite, you can find this all over the place too
best yakitori is in chatan on the road that goes N-S from the back of San A (& sauce live), up past marue & the italian restaurant, just past a takoyaki place, on the left hand side. It's a little shack looking place "Den's". It too is the awesome.
Lots of steakhouses around one in Naha (forgot the name, sorry) is really famous.
GREAT yakiniku place on 58, opposite side of the road from Kadena Gate 1, behind a family mart, right next to a pizza buffet, town's sunabe.
Koza restaurant on north 329- buttered grilled fish is to die for.
chatan has a ton of decent restaurants, including a nice mawari sushi place

beaches
i recommend: manza, zanpa, moonbeach, araha beach, sunset beach, kadena marina, okuma, ginowan convention center beach

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Anything i should Visit when i visit Okinawa and Nagasak

Postby Ulver_684 » June 8th, 2007 8:27 pm

fotoboi wrote:HI People....

('_' )( '_')

michael c.

Fotoboi-san! :wink:

It's a very interesting topic and great advice too! I'm learning alot here on this forums! 8)

Return to “Visiting Japan”