a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Need recommendation for any place to go/visit in Tokyo

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

koyapi
New in Town

Need recommendation for any place to go/visit in Tokyo

Postby koyapi » September 1st, 2009 2:32 am

We going to Tokyo in late September. By "we" I mean, 40~60 year old family members and me 20s. I was happy for second till it was decided I should help plan the where-tos for trip. Hearing what age range we are, surely going to Fuji TV and attempt wall crash or something like that - is not interesting to ..my family.

Aa I don't know where SHOULD we go for this 6 day trip;!

Suggestions?

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » September 2nd, 2009 11:16 pm

I would try to do the obvious stuff: go and look at the temples in Asakusa; buy some electronics in Akihabara; check out the crossing in Shibuya (and shops - the trainers in Japan seem to have an inverse relationship with the west, or Britain at least, by which I mean that shoes that are cheap in Britain are expensive in Japan and vice versa); maybe check out an izakaya in Shinjuku (and/or piss alley, if you're feeling brave); try to see all of the crazies in Harajuku; and look at all the posh shops in Ginza. There's also some tower that you can go up for free views of the city. Or you could dress up posh and go for a drink in the Shinjuku Hyatt - where they filmed Lost in Translation - for something similar. And I would recommend trying to take a short trip out to visit Kamakura. You can take the Enoshima Light Railway which is an experience in itself, and then visit lots of temples, and then maybe walk down to the beach.

Get 40% OFF
koyapi
New in Town

Postby koyapi » September 3rd, 2009 5:44 am

wah you really summed it down extensively! That really helps :D !

Kamakura is bit of a ride from Ikebukuro - maybe will try get there ?

Thanks for suggesting :D

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » September 3rd, 2009 6:55 am

Are you staying in Ikebukuro? You can actually get to Kamakura in just over an hour if you take the right train (the express Shonan-Shinjuku line). Even if you take the slower trains, you can still make it there in about an hour and 20 minutes or so. :) If you need any details just let me know (I live near Ikebukuro and use the station a lot!)
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

koyapi
New in Town

Postby koyapi » September 3rd, 2009 6:33 pm

Yeah I'm staying at Ikebukuro :D

Ah I thought it was longer than that. I was thinking if it was long ride, could stop at somewhere midway to walk around, and then get back on train to Kamakura. Not that I know what stop would that be XD; ... yet..

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » September 4th, 2009 1:36 am

Do you know Japan Guide? It's a great site for those traveling to Japan - here's a page that tells you how to get to Kamakura :D

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3115.html
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Yamanchu
Expert on Something

Postby Yamanchu » September 7th, 2009 1:50 am

If you can, I'd suggest taking them for a an overnight trip to Nikko. Beautiful place, lots of sights/temples etc. You should be able to find some cheap deals at a ryokan for an authentic experience they'll never forget.

Yamanchu
Expert on Something

Postby Yamanchu » September 8th, 2009 11:45 pm

Forgot to mention, if you go to Shinjuku, take them to the Touchou (I think that's how it's spelt!) the government building there. It's only 200/300 metres from Shinjuku eki. There is an entire floor for viewing, almost at the top of the building which gives you fantastic views of Tokyo, as good as Tokyo tower. Late afternoon is a great time to go as you can see the day view and watch as the lights come on at night. Also open on weekends.

koyapi
New in Town

Postby koyapi » September 14th, 2009 4:37 am

Thanks for replies! I'm glad I checked back here! I think I know where I should aim to go. I'm not sure I'd visit lots of temples -- uh..

are there gardens I must visit without going all the way to Kyoto?

Ah speaking of izakaya, anyone know where to hang out at night ? Not like bars, just hanging out or if there are stores to still visit?

I'm a little a insomniac :lol:

KingDog
Been Around a Bit

Postby KingDog » September 23rd, 2009 7:54 pm

I just posted about the Hama Rikyu Garden - http://www.iheartjapan.ca/2009/09/a-stroll-through-hama-rikyu-garden/

Probably worth checking out while you're there.

Return to “Visiting Japan”