Or sign up using Facebook

Farm Visit

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

edlo
New in Town

Farm Visit

Postby edlo » July 28th, 2009 2:56 am

Hello all,

I'm new to here and not sure if I could ask this question here.

My wife and I are planning to visit a fruit farm in August. And I would like to send an email to ask the farm if they're opening on a Sunday.

Could anyone please help me on the enquiry? Not sure if the following is ok and polite enough? (I could only handle some broken travel Japanese :P)

すめません、果樹園は日曜日で開業しますか?

Thank you in advance :)

Edward

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » July 28th, 2009 10:16 am

ません、果樹園は日曜日は営業しますか?

Get 40% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » July 29th, 2009 1:47 am

it almost certainly will be open though as that is the day most Japanese go out and do that sort of thing. It would probably be closed on a week day like a Monday to make up.

But when in August? Watch out for the O-bon week:
In 2009, the peak of the Obon travel season is anticipated to take place between August 8 and August 16. The busiest days are expected to be August 8, 12 and 13 with people leaving the big cities, and August 15 and 16 with people returning to the big cities.

Why is this a problem? A lot of businesses still shut down that week even though it is not an official holiday like Golden Week. So be sure to add the date rather than just saying Sunday

edlo
New in Town

Postby edlo » July 29th, 2009 3:14 am

hatch_jp wrote:ません、果樹園は日曜日は営業しますか?

hatch_jp, thank you so much for the corrections :)

edlo
New in Town

Postby edlo » July 29th, 2009 3:24 am

JonB wrote:it almost certainly will be open though as that is the day most Japanese go out and do that sort of thing. It would probably be closed on a week day like a Monday to make up.

But when in August? Watch out for the O-bon week:
In 2009, the peak of the Obon travel season is anticipated to take place between August 8 and August 16. The busiest days are expected to be August 8, 12 and 13 with people leaving the big cities, and August 15 and 16 with people returning to the big cities.

Why is this a problem? A lot of businesses still shut down that week even though it is not an official holiday like Golden Week. So be sure to add the date rather than just saying Sunday

JonB, thanks for the tips. We're looking to visit one of the farms that allow people to pick the fruits in the Yamagata prefecture. And we maybe visiting on the 9th (Sunday), that's why I want to make sure before I go :)

Return to “Visiting Japan”