a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

3 Month Stay in Japan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

nyappyrebecca
Established Presence

3 Month Stay in Japan?

Postby nyappyrebecca » July 23rd, 2009 9:09 pm

I am thinking of staying in Japan anywhere from 1 month to 3. I know it costs at least $3000 to stay in Japan for two weeks but how much for a longer stay? I might be able to stay at a friend's house for a couple weeks. I'd have to stay at a hotel for the rest.
If you are interested in studying, teaching, or translating Japanese please contact me.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: 3 Month Stay in Japan?

Postby Ulver_684 » July 24th, 2009 7:39 pm

nyappyrebecca wrote:I am thinking of staying in Japan anywhere from 1 month to 3. I know it costs at least $3000 to stay in Japan for two weeks but how much for a longer stay? I might be able to stay at a friend's house for a couple weeks. I'd have to stay at a hotel for the rest.

nyappyrebecca-san! :wink:

Great posts! Thank you for letting us know how much it costs to stay in Japan for two weeks. I will stay one week in Miki's house in Ibaraki (if she approves first) because there is a quote in Spanish that says "El muerto y el arrimado a los tres dias apesta" I don't want to cause problems. If she doesn't approve then we'll have to stay in the hotel. :( Time flyes fast and 2010-2011 would be upon us and I don't want to leave everything until the last minute. I will continue reading all the post in this forum but for now does anyone of any good hotel in Japan? especially in the Tokyo area? Well thank you for your time everyone. :D

Get 40% OFF
nyappyrebecca
Established Presence

Postby nyappyrebecca » July 24th, 2009 7:56 pm

Ulver_684 wrote:nyappyrebecca-san! :wink:

Great posts! Thank you for letting us know how much it costs to stay in Japan for two weeks. I will stay one week in Miki's house in Ibaraki (if she approves first) because there is a quote in Spanish that says "El muerto y el arrimado a los tres dias apesta" I don't want to cause problems. If she doesn't approve then we'll have to stay in the hotel. :( Time flyes fast and 2010-2011 would be upon us and I don't want to leave everything until the last minute. I will continue reading all the post in this forum but for now does anyone of any good hotel in Japan? especially in the Tokyo area? Well thank you for your time everyone. :D

Google works wonders. You can easily find cheap hotels and information about the cost of Japan there. That's where I look up my hotel information and it'd be better to look at many different ones. I made sure to look at 10 or more before deciding. It'd also be better if you made a thread about hotel recommendations or looked through any threads that might have mentioned them. ^^;
If you are interested in studying, teaching, or translating Japanese please contact me.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » July 24th, 2009 9:51 pm

Ulver_684 wrote:does anyone of any good hotel in Japan? especially in the Tokyo area?

If you're looking for cheap places, I have stayed at a place called the Ryokan Kangetsu, and was very happy with it. I've also heard good things about the Sakura hostel, though I haven't stayed there myself. Or if you're looking for something more expensive, the Keio Plazain Shinjuku was fine too. I've also stayed in the Shinagawa Prince, but wasn't too impressed with it (although maybe that's partly because I was supposed to be on a plane to Australia that had been cancelled because of bad weather!). And I've had business meetings at the Park Hyatt in Shinjuku, which was very nice, but probably also very expensive. It's got a really nice rooftop bar, and it's just round the corner from the Keio Plaza - it's where they filmed Lost in Translation, and I saw Nicolas Cage and Mr. Bean there on the same day. I don't think they were there together though...

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » July 24th, 2009 11:11 pm

I'd guess at least 8,000 to 10,000 yen per day on a tightish budget.
Hotel is going to cost about 6,000. Maybe less but what you save on some days means you can stay at a really nice place on others. Food depending where and what you eat around 2,000 to 3,000. And you'll need busfares, entry fees etc. maybe 1000 a day. If you plan to tour you'll need more money for transport. You don't want too tight a budget or you'll just spend all your time worrying about money and trying to scrimp and save. You might have a better time with a bit more money but less time.
Even staying with relatives and friends I seem to spend at least 5000 a day, not even doing the touristy thing.

For places to start looking at hotels try
http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/index.html
http://www.itcj.jp/eng/index.php

If you have Japanese friends they may well be able to find you cheaper minsuku or ryokan. and maybe vouching for you to places that don't usually get foreign custom.
or finding better deals on hotels via the Japanese Internet.

Bear in mind if staying at a Japanese house that they are often tiny. You wouldn't want to wear out your welcome.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » July 27th, 2009 10:04 pm

Belton wrote:Bear in mind if staying at a Japanese house that they are often tiny. You wouldn't want to wear out your welcome.

Mina-san! :wink:

Thank you for your information and help! I know about the customs in Japan when going to someone's home, thanks to JP101. Now I want to show everyone a old e-mail Miki-san sent to me three years ago about inviting me to her house in Japan but that was three years ago, I don't know now and I don't want to feel like a intruser so I have to ask her again. My brother and me would be very happy if she can accept us in her house for one week only! :D Well thank you for your time.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/U ... 0001-1.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/U ... il0002.jpg

Phro
New in Town

Hostels!!!!

Postby Phro » July 27th, 2009 11:24 pm

Hello!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but...HOSTELS!!! They're significantly cheaper than hotels (at least in my experience and by design) and you're guaranteed to meet interesting people from all over the world.

http://www.hostels.com/jp.html

Hostels.com is really good for English language hostels, but I'm not sure about Japanese hostels. You might need to look around for some other website for search specifically by location via Google. Also, a hostel can help you cut down on your food budget, as many include a dining area (it is shared though). You'll still end up paying between 2000 and 4000 per night, though some hostels offer a discount for longer stays.

I think you CAN eat for less than 2000-3000 per day, but only if you do your own cooking, etc. It can be a bit of a hassle, but it might be worth it, especially if you'll be in Japan for 3 months without employment. :)

Good luck! I hope you'll have a lot of fun in Japan!

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » July 29th, 2009 1:52 am

I think you CAN eat for less than 2000-3000 per day, but only if you do your own cooking, etc. It can be a bit of a hassle, but it might be worth it, especially if you'll be in Japan for 3 months without employment.

You certainly can eat in Japan for less that 2000 per day - even eating out. At lunch time round the city you can usually find a bento starting around 500 yen. Lunch is you best bet if eating out as most restaurants also have good lunch offers but go back in the evening at your peril :D

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Re: Hostels!!!!

Postby untmdsprt » August 19th, 2009 10:35 am

Phro wrote:Hello!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but...HOSTELS!!! They're significantly cheaper than hotels (at least in my experience and by design) and you're guaranteed to meet interesting people from all over the world.

http://www.hostels.com/jp.html

I second this comment. I stayed at a hostel in Kyoto and really enjoyed meeting others from around the world. The owner could speak English and was very nice in setting up parties or taking us out to dinner to enjoy the local cuisine. I think I spent about 3000 yen a night for the weekend.

api0977132001251251151
New in Town

Postby api0977132001251251151 » August 28th, 2009 2:03 am

I highly recommend Sakura house! I am going to japan for 3 weeks in about 15 days or so, and it was easy getting my place booked and reserved for me, over the phone.

The greatest thing about it, is that you can haggle with them. I had a room that I wanted that was 70,000 yen, but I haggled it down to 65,000 because it "Didn't fit my budget" for my trip at the time! they actually asked me what my budget was for the trip, and reduced my rent according to that! THAT"S awesome!

Here's the site...

http://www.sakura-house.com/english/system.htm

Pick the district / area you'd like to stay nearest, and then call them with any questions..

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » August 28th, 2009 2:20 pm

Mina-san! :wink:

Thank you all for your replies, I'll keep them in mind! :D

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 28th, 2009 11:56 am

For those of you who need a place to stay on a monthly basis, my former landlord is willing to rent to someone for the short term. Please contact me by email if you want her contact info.

My email is untmdsprt [at] gmail [dot] com

She does business by word of mouth so mention my name when you contact her.

Return to “Visiting Japan”