a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Cell phone?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

nyappyrebecca
Established Presence

Cell phone?

Postby nyappyrebecca » March 3rd, 2009 6:55 am

It's possible I might go back to Japan at the end fo the year and I have a question. My mom wants me to have a cell phone there where I will make calls. Is it possible to buy a Japanese cellphone or one where you can call to or from Japan?
If you are interested in studying, teaching, or translating Japanese please contact me.

Kobukuro
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kobukuro » March 3rd, 2009 7:34 am

Well... what about Skype? How long will you stay in Japan? Are you going to have a PC in Japan? I guess, it would be much cheaper!

Get 40% OFF
Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » March 3rd, 2009 8:11 am

I had the same question, how long will you be in Japan? If you're there for just a short time (and if Skype is not an option), a pre-paid phone that can make global calls may be the way to go. If you're staying for a long time, you can just sign up for a regular cell phone with an international calling plan. They have some models that are in English and everything :wink:
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » March 3rd, 2009 9:44 am

You can rent them at the airport for short term contracts I believe. Or get a pre paid phone which you top up with credit when it runs low.
If you have a smart phone that allows you to run software on it you can install skype and use mobile wireless internet to make skype calls from your mobile (will need skype credit to call other cells and landlines). My friend showed me how to do it a few weeks back. You need to be in a wireless hotspot too.

nyappyrebecca
Established Presence

Postby nyappyrebecca » March 3rd, 2009 9:37 pm

I have Skype but that isn't the option I am looking for. Renting a phone is an option I might consider but that isn't what I asked in my post. I asked if it was possible to buy a Japanese cell phone to make calls to and from Japan.

I don't know how long I will be there.
If you are interested in studying, teaching, or translating Japanese please contact me.

shooto
Been Around a Bit

Postby shooto » March 3rd, 2009 9:57 pm

Maybe this is of more use.

How to get a mobile phone:

Rental Phones

Renting is the most economical way for the average traveler to get a phone, and typically requires a picture ID and a credit card. Many companies have kiosks at the airports, while other companies will mail a phone to your hotel or to your home. You can return the phones at the airport or through the mail depending on the company.

The fees for rental phones vary and usually consist of the rental fee (typically 250-1000 yen per day) plus a usage fee (typically 70-200 yen per minute domestic outgoing, incoming calls are free). All of the companies at the airports have same day rentals, while some companies offer discounts for advanced reservations.

Prepaid Phones

Due to past criminal abuse of prepaid phones, phone sellers must now verify the identity and place of residence of their buyers. Typical proof can be in the form of a Japanese driver's license, a Japanese Passport, or an alien registration card. Some stores will accept foreign passports along with a hotel address as verification.

Prepaid phones start around 5000 yen. Credit, which is used for outgoing calls, email, internet, etc. depending on what features your phone supports, must be purchased in advance. With most companies, incoming calls are free and outgoing calling rates are comparable to those of rental phones.

Credit can be bought at cell phone stores and convenience stores and is typically valid for two months. Phone numbers remain active as long as you have valid credit in your account, but will expire after four months to a year without use.

Subscription Plans

With subscription plans you pay for your usage at the end of a monthly billing cycle as opposed to prepaid phones where you buy your usage before you use it. The phones themselves can be free although that typically requires a 2 year contract.

All the latest and most advanced phones are available with subscription plans and the selection of handsets is huge. Subscription plans are only available to residents and require an alien registration card and a Japanese bank account.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223.html

nyappyrebecca
Established Presence

Postby nyappyrebecca » March 3rd, 2009 9:58 pm

Wow. Thank-you. :3

nyappyrebecca
Established Presence

Postby nyappyrebecca » March 3rd, 2009 10:10 pm

I also wonder if it's possible to use an internet with the kind of phone shooto is talking about if it's a Japanese cellphone and you're outside Japan?

hajime
Been Around a Bit

Postby hajime » March 27th, 2009 8:14 pm

As was previously posted, it is difficult to get a prepaid cell phone now. I had a friend in Tokyo look into this for me and she told me to rent one instead. All the Japanese cell phones have internet access and you can pay for that to be turned on when you rent the phone. I didn't understand the part of the question about "outside of Japan".

You can get a cell phone at the airport free of daily charges but the per-minute charges on all of the plans are fairly high.

Does anyone know if this works in Japan? (i.e. can you buy a prepaid sim card?)

http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com ... -cheap/?em

JonB
Expert on Something

sorry

Postby JonB » April 6th, 2009 1:13 am

sorry but that won't work in Japan.

You can not just rent a local SIM card - you have to rent the phone. The Japanese mobile market is very tightly locked down.

Last time I tried to buy a phone the sales rep tried to sell me a Sony Ericson as it worked abroad - when I asked if I would be able to put in a rented SIM card in say the UK she said what a great idea but no! She even admitted that she thought the local providers could do more - but then they would miss out on all those roaming charges....

Return to “Visiting Japan”