a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Wireless Internet for Computer

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

SmilingRob
New in Town

Wireless Internet for Computer

Postby SmilingRob » November 13th, 2008 7:37 am

I'll be in Japan for 3 months, but I require the internet to keep things stable back home in the U.S.

I currently have an iPhone and a USB 3G card through Verizon. Both AT&T and Verizon have terrible International plans. So I'm planning on getting a mobile phone while I'm there.

Ideally, I would like to get a mobile phone that I can connect via USB to my laptop, and then use it to access the Internet.

I only need 100KB/s down and 10KB/s up. Although faster than that would obviously be nice. My 3G USB card gets around 200KB down and 100KB up in most places around Los Angeles. But Verizon put a 5GB per month limit on new plans. I'm a software developer, and I download 2GB files a few times a month. So I use WiFi at home to do that.

My question is: Does anyone know of a Japanese phone and network combo that I can connect via USB (not Bluetooth) to a laptop to get Internet access?

I would be looking at an "unlimited" internet package. And 700 minutes voice. Is it possible to get unlimited packets? And on average, how many packets are used for a 1MB download?

The English versions of the major Japanese networks web sites aren't very helpful.

Should I try to call one of the networks and get an English sales rep? Will they be able to help me? If I called AT&T and asked these questions I'm 80% sure that the sales rep wouldn't know that AT&T has the capability to turn a phone into a broadband wireless modem, so I'd need to get someone that not only speaks english, but also knows what their company sells.

Thanks

SmilingRob
New in Town

DoCoMo FOMA

Postby SmilingRob » November 13th, 2008 7:54 am

The DoCoMo "FOMA" service seems to be what I'm looking for.
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/service/func ... index.html

They only have two phones on the list though. Has anyone used this service, or these phones? Or something better?

Get 40% OFF
chasius
New in Town

Postby chasius » November 13th, 2008 11:42 am

If you are not planing to buy a phone, which requires a year contract, your options may be limited. You can easily rent phones at the airport but they are far from stellar and would most likely not have the broadband you are looking for (at a somewhat reasonable rate). Does the place you are staying at have no internet access? Worse comes to worse, you can always jump into an internet cafe. They are everywhere and usually only 3 or 4 bucks an hour. ($10 for 3 hours etc).

SmilingRob
New in Town

Postby SmilingRob » November 19th, 2008 7:32 am

I plan on getting a phone. It will be cheaper than going to a hotspot because of how much time I need connected.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » November 26th, 2008 2:09 pm

phone contracts here are crazy - as advised I would go with internet cafe. The call might be cheap but the plan will not be.

If you still want it then you might want to check out emobile http://www.emobile.jp/en/index.html

SmilingRob
New in Town

Economics

Postby SmilingRob » December 1st, 2008 8:01 pm

Lets say it's 200円/hr. for an Internet Cafe. And 12000円/mo. for unlimited mobile Internet. That is equal to 60 hours of Internet Cafe time. (60 hours/30 days in a month)*7 days in a week means 14 hours a week.

I need to be on the Internet between 10 and 40 hours a week. So WiFi is fine if I minimize my Internet connectivity. However the time it takes to transport myself to a hotspot, plus the ability to make regular calls from the phone makes an unlimited mobile Internet plan the clear winner financially. Plus the temptation of buying something to eat or drink at the cafe seriously impacts the total cost. Opposed with getting nutritional supplies from the market for much cheaper.

That's what I'm concluding from this. Am I missing something?

Thanks

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » December 10th, 2008 1:45 pm

Where are you getting 1,200 yen a month from? I want that!

SmilingRob
New in Town

12,000円

Postby SmilingRob » December 11th, 2008 7:54 pm

JonB wrote:Where are you getting 1,200 yen a month from? I want that!

Me too! But I said 12,000円 :(

I got the number from this page:
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/service/data ... index.html

On the graphic under the title:
定額データプラン HIGH-SPEED

It says 10,500円, and I don't think that price includes voice. When I read it the first time I thought it meant unlimited, but it looks like it's really the maximum 6,400円 plus packet charges up to 1,000,000 packets.

In the last 8 days my computer has downloaded 2.65Gb of data with normal usage. I didn't do any file sharing, I have 0 viruses. It's mostly the TV that I watch and the latest version of software I need to download.

My computer's network card doesn't keep track of the number of packets, just the amount of data. So it's really hard for me to project 2.65Gb into average packet sizes, and then put that through (x/8)*31. I haven't been able to find an average packet size on the phone company's web sites. Probably because it would be a liability since many packet sizes would be less than what they publish. They probably also don't publish the maximum packet size their routers allow.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » December 11th, 2008 11:48 pm

So you did - 12,000 that is too much! Also you will probably be tied to a 1 year contract at least...

My Japanese is not strong enough but I think it connects via one of there phones but looking at it I guess you have taken that into account with that price.

I think when you get down to the fine print it will get very pricey. The Japanese phone market is very archaic and inward looking when it comes to price plans etc. Usually to get the advertised "low" rate you need to sign up for a minimum of two years and you will normally require a bank account to direct debit out of...

The phones are great, the plans suck :cry:

SmilingRob
New in Town

Postby SmilingRob » January 20th, 2009 1:16 pm

Now that I'm in Japan, I've been using the internet cafe, because without a resident card I cannot purchase even a prepaid phone.

The internet cafe is expensive, 1000円 for 3 hours (just like you said) but it's totally awesome, they have great reclining chairs, private cubicles, fast internet, clean, and free drinks. If I didn't enjoy the sunlight, and people, I would consider living there.

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » January 20th, 2009 3:50 pm

I've been using the internet cafe, because without a resident card I cannot purchase even a prepaid phone.

How long are you planning on staying in Japan? If you are here for a short amount of time, renting a phone is an option.

If your are just waiting on your Alien Registration Card you can pay 200 yen and get a temporary document that will act as your alien ID so you don't need to wait until you receive it to get a phone.

Also, Tokyo has a lot of free wireless hotspots. I think McDonalds has free Wifi but I could be wrong.

SmilingRob
New in Town

Postby SmilingRob » January 21st, 2009 12:08 am

I'm in Japan till the middle of March.

But I'll be in 山口 most of the time, when I visit 東京 I'm sure I won't have any problems.

Thanks for the info!

JonB
Expert on Something

by all accounts

Postby JonB » February 1st, 2009 2:58 am

I would consider living there.

some people do! Apparently you can get all kinds of services in those places, if you know what I mean :o

These places and karaoke bars are also where people hang out after the last train until the trains start again as a taxi home is much more expensive...

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Re: by all accounts

Postby gerald_ford » February 1st, 2009 11:45 am

JonB wrote:
I would consider living there.

some people do! Apparently you can get all kinds of services in those places, if you know what I mean :o

These places and karaoke bars are also where people hang out after the last train until the trains start again as a taxi home is much more expensive...

...or family restaraunts if you like really good, cheap, hearty meals. ;)
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 11th, 2009 11:54 am

Return to “Visiting Japan”