a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Golden Week and Rail Pass Questions

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Harv
Established Presence

Golden Week and Rail Pass Questions

Postby Harv » June 28th, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm thinking of going to Japan next spring around april. I've heard that around golden week hotels and restaurants get a bit more expensive and trains can get very full so at the moment I'm thinking of avoiding golden week by going in april, but I'd just like to know if the price rises are actually as high as some people make out or if it's only a slight increase (<50% extra).
I'll probably be staying in either hostels or cheap business hotels like toyoko inn or whatever and I'll probably be reserving quite early so finding a room wont be too hard hopefully.
Also, would you consider experiencing golden week worth the extra cost?

Also, this is probably a stupid question but is it ok to buy more than one rail pass? I'm thinking of going for a month so I'm probably going to get a 21 day pass and then either a 7 day pass or a regional pass to go with it.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » June 29th, 2008 7:27 am

No problem with buying multiple rail passes.
However you won't be able to make seat reservations until you exchange the voucher for a pass in Japan. That said you can have it start at any time. I exchanged mine in advance in Nagoya, because I was unsure of finding an office in Kanazawa after taking buses through the mountains.
Seat reservations might be a problem in GW. I travelled at New Year and it was pretty busy. On some sections I couldn't get a seat reservation and was lucky not to have to stand.

From what I gather nothing special actually happens in Golden week apart from everyone travelling. (I might be wrong)
Unless there is something specific that only happens in Golden Week I think you'd be better shifting your trip to before or after it especially if it's your first trip. There's no need to experience travel madness on top of getting to grips with how things work in Japan.

Spring is one of the high seasons because of the cherry blossom and milder weather.
I travelled at this time and it's very pleasant. I didn't notice prices being much higher, although hotel prices were a bit more than off season. I don't think the surcharge was as high as 50%. but availability was lower.
May was also pleasant except it's starting into rainy season.

Get 40% OFF
Harv
Established Presence

Postby Harv » June 30th, 2008 11:43 pm

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll just go to Japan at the end of march and come back just before golden week starts to avoid any potential headaches especially as this will be my first time in Japan.

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » July 8th, 2008 3:19 am

April in Japan is pretty quiet - the schools have just started as well as the universities and all the companies take on their new hires 1st April. All adds up to being a good time to travel round Japan.

In certain resort areas hotels can be 3 or 4 times the normal price GW. Another good week to travel is the week after GW

Return to “Visiting Japan”