a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

To me, To-kyo

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

NickOakden
New in Town

To me, To-kyo

Postby NickOakden » May 4th, 2008 6:24 pm

I'm visiting Japan for six weeks, starting May 17th. First up is the place that's been top of my to-visit list (and of course, my desktop background) since time began - Tokyo.

I'm at uni right now, just finishing off my last assignments. Someone on the other side of the room just started up a conversation with his friend, about how he'd love to go there. 'I'd go for about a month', he's saying. I am so smug right now.

So, in honour of my insufferable smugness - which is possibly less effective on you guys since half of you probably live in Japan - I'd like to ask the following question!

I have been reading countless articles, websites, and travels books on the subject of Japan, and mostly, Tokyo. I know about things like Suica cards, and that the Tokyo Tower is an amusing couple of metres taller than the Eiffel Tower. So I'm not one of those annoying chaps who's like 'What is there to do in Tokyo?', because yep, there's a lot. But what I would like to know is:

Where's your favourite place to go in Japan's capital?

(sorry for taking five of your minutes when I could have asked the same thing in one)

(general advice also gladly accepted)

(thanks)

(high five)

Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » May 4th, 2008 9:13 pm

My current favorite place to go in Tokyo is 月島 (Tsukishima), for a delicious dinner of monjayaki and beer. There's a street a few blocks away from the station that is basically all monjayaki restaurants from beginning to end. Best enjoyed with up to five friends. If you're traveling alone it won't be as much fun, but monjayaki is definitely worth trying, and Tsukishima is where the best is made.

Get 40% OFF
markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » May 5th, 2008 4:37 am

Yanaka - very shitamachi area. has a sprawling cemetery
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Koru
New in Town

Postby Koru » May 5th, 2008 9:12 pm

Ooh nice one I'm off to Japan myself for the first time in just under a week so I'll be paying close attention to this thread for sure! Keep those suggestions coming :o)

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » May 7th, 2008 11:29 pm

One of the places I enjoyed was a bar called Eat a Peach. It's in Shimokitazawa, and it's a bar that's tiny, so everyone has to shuffle in and out whenever anyone goes in or out, or wants to use the loo, and the beers are delivered through the window from another bar upstairs or something, because it's too small to keep the beer on site. And there are lots of great records, and the barman might even play your requests.

Return to “Visiting Japan”