a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Making Quick Friends in Japan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

davulf
New in Town

Making Quick Friends in Japan?

Postby davulf » April 19th, 2008 8:53 am

I'm coming to Japan on the 28th of April for 2 weeks. The first week (28th until the 5th) I will be by myself with only a backpack, as I will leave my luggage at Narita. What I was wondering was how difficult it would be to meet and make friends with people who could show me around their area, whether it be Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Nagoya, Osaka, etc.

I'm really going free-form with the first week, so I just want to meet some people and then just go do whatever. Really try to be more integrated than typical tourism. The second week on the other hand I will pick my girlfriend up at Narita and grab my luggage, and we will do the typical tourist things, and stay in nice Ryoukan or Western Hotels (Grand Hyatt etc.).

So basically, is it possible to get off the train from Narita and just go walking around, meet some people, and hang out with them, or are Japanese people generally avoidant of foreigners?

Another thing, can I buy a GSM prepaid simcard while I am in Japan? I have one here in Singapore, but I was wondering if it would be similar. To get it here I just showed my Canadian Passport and they gave me a card.

Harv
Established Presence

Postby Harv » April 19th, 2008 7:59 pm

Probably best to go to a izakaya, english conversation lounge, etc if you want to meet people. I'm not sure if people would just approach you in the street as you're walking around.

Get 40% OFF
davulf
New in Town

Postby davulf » April 20th, 2008 5:07 am

Izakaya, awesome idea. Are there many in Tokyo? Are there ones that are mostly frequented by University students (since they're my age)?

Edit: It turns out that Izakaya are bars, and not English conversation lounges. Were you talking about two different things? In that case, are there any English conversation lounges in Tokyo?

henas
New in Town

Re: Making Quick Friends in Japan?

Postby henas » April 20th, 2008 8:39 am

Do not you think that your request is a bit strange? Give a "quick" fiend within 5 minutes and if possible by SMS. Can friend be "quick"? Is it possible in canada ?????????

davulf
New in Town

Postby davulf » April 20th, 2008 10:27 am

What do you mean by SMS?

In any event, I think it is possible in Canada. If I was somewhere and some Japanese person was looking for someone to show them around, I would most definitely do that. :)

JonB
Expert on Something

you're right

Postby JonB » April 21st, 2008 4:46 am

Students would not go izakayas except on special occaisions I suspect - but then they would not stop in the Grand Hyatt either :wink:

You could try raman shops around Universities I guess or clubs and bars in those areas - students are the same anywhere when it comes to a drink :lol:

There are a number of clubs (as in social clubs and not nightclubs) where mixing is easier but they tend to be round weekends.

You don't mention how good your Japanese is - if it is basic then you are best of (unfortunately) in the roppongi area if you are only around for a week. It takes a while to build those kind of relationships in more local establishments if you don't speak good Japanese.

As to GSM - doen't work here. If you have an overseas phone and it is 3G then OK. You can also rent phones at some places. Look for the phone rental places at Narita, the ones I know of are down near the train ticket hall.

Lastly you are arriving in one of the busiest domestice travel times of the year - they estimate that nearly 21 million Japanese will be travelling that week. Book your train seats early - if it is not already too late :o

davulf
New in Town

Postby davulf » April 21st, 2008 4:54 am

Thanks for the info Jon.

I don't have any firm plans, so I'm not sure where exactly I will be traveling, which is why I haven't booked trains or hotels yet. I figured I would just do that when the time came. I realize I am running a risk, but I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

My spoken Japanese is probably JLPT 3 or so. I have a Blackberry 8830 3G CDMA, but it will also take GSM. I think that might actually work :).

Why is Roppongi unfortunate?

Sakura
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Sakura » April 21st, 2008 5:03 am

Not exactly "friends," but if you search on the Internet with keywords like "Tokyo" "guide" "free" "volunteer," you can find some volunteer groups that can guide you around Tokyo. I don't know much about them myself, so I can't make any recommendations, but I though you might have a better chance of finding someone.
:P

davulf
New in Town

Postby davulf » April 21st, 2008 5:08 am

Good idea Sakura! I will look into that. :)

Haha, maybe this wasn't the best idea after all. Either way, I think I will still have a good time, even if I have to be by myself.

Sakura
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Sakura » April 21st, 2008 5:38 am

I hope you enjoy your stay in Japan! :D

davulf
New in Town

Postby davulf » April 21st, 2008 5:42 am

Thanks. I'm sure it will be interesting. :)

JonB
Expert on Something

Roppongi is a bit of a Ghetto

Postby JonB » April 22nd, 2008 2:39 am

Sorry but I can not think of any other way to describe it! Even though I work virtually next door we try and "play" elsewhere!

However, it is quite often the draw for visitors and foreign residents because most of the bars and clubs (but not all) are foreign friendly - by that I mean that menus are in English and staff speak English.

But be prepared to be hassled by people trying to drag you into their establishments - particulalry if you are a lone male.

Return to “Visiting Japan”