a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Question about shipping stuff back home

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

stiltzkin
New in Town

Question about shipping stuff back home

Postby stiltzkin » March 31st, 2008 10:17 pm

Hello all! I'm new to the forum here, and relatively new to the lessons as well. Anyway, I have a quick question. I will be visiting Japan in a few days, and will probably be purchasing a bit more than I carry to bring back with me in luggage. I'm planning on shipping some of it back, as some of the things are gifts for others anyway. I have been told that Japanese post offices don't have boxes/packing materials (much like they don't have envelopes). If that's the case, where would I go about obtaining these things? If someone could give me an example of the name of a store or something, I'm sure I could figure out where one is.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

JonB
Expert on Something

Office Depot

Postby JonB » April 1st, 2008 12:04 am

I would think has boxes - never really looked. Also try 100yen shops or some of the bigger super markets like Olympic (for the latter if you are in central Tokyo that could be difficult).

I'm surprised that the post office does not have any though - maybe the bigger ones might? Not really my department though so not really sure! The takubin companies do though.

Get 40% OFF
stiltzkin
New in Town

Postby stiltzkin » April 23rd, 2008 3:22 pm

Just for everyone's reference, I discovered that they do indeed sell several difference sizes of boxes at the post office!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » April 24th, 2008 2:24 am

I might be a bit late to the plate on this one, but since I did the exact thing that you're talking about during my time in Japan, I thought it worth posting just for the reassurance-- you won't have any problems with this task. :D
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 24th, 2008 10:32 am

you can ship packages at convenience stores too. so if the post office is far from you, but AM/PM is closer, it might save you some time lugging heavy boxes around town. :idea:

mint
New in Town

Postby mint » April 24th, 2008 11:19 pm

I can send girft homes from AM/PM Stores???? 8)
[dori - dori! ^^]

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 25th, 2008 8:44 am

yep! all the convenience stores will ship packages for you. :D
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

mint
New in Town

Postby mint » April 25th, 2008 8:45 am

wow thats amazing haha, Good stuff thanks for that information.
[dori - dori! ^^]

Koru
New in Town

Postby Koru » May 5th, 2008 9:55 pm

markystar wrote:yep! all the convenience stores will ship packages for you. :D

Wow that sounds pretty cool, I think I'll give that a try. Is there any size limit that they'll ship? I'm thinking of maybe buying some tatami mats while I'm over or maybe even some bits of furniture/decorations for my new house. Or would I be able to arrange shipping maybe directly from other stores? Or is it a crazy plan doomed to failure?

visual_gaze
Been Around a Bit

Postby visual_gaze » January 31st, 2009 4:59 am

Thanks for that! me and my friends were stuck on how to send some of our stuff back home since we had a realy hard time dragging our luggage around last time we were there. but would anyone know about how much it would cost? even the average amount or your thoughts on how much it is would help me a lot. thanks in advance.

Return to “Visiting Japan”