a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Open Mic / Street Performing

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

TheNationalPool
Been Around a Bit

Open Mic / Street Performing

Postby TheNationalPool » March 26th, 2008 9:48 am

I haven't read through the other posts yet so I'm not sure if it's been covered already, but does anybody know of any good bars around Tokyo or Yokohama for open mic nights?

On a side note, does anybody know the rules about street performing? Do you have to get a license first?

Thanks!

Brad
www.thenationalpool.com

www.ModernMusicBusiness.com
"A podcast for the new era of the Music Business"

JonB
Expert on Something

I think in general

Postby JonB » March 27th, 2008 12:45 am

I think in general street performing is illegal - or that is what I heard. There are certain areas where it seems to happen, like yoyogi park on a Sunday, but I have no idea of the procedure.

Sometimes you see them in shopping malls but I would suspect that is by arrangement.

As to open mic nights - sorry can't help you as I don't get out much these days :(

Get 40% OFF
adam
New in Town

Street Performers

Postby adam » April 11th, 2008 12:42 pm

Here in Shizuoka there are street performers every weekend just the Marui department store. It seems encouraged here. In the fall, there is a big international street buskers competition. A few weekends ago, I saw a duo perform - juggling, fire swallowing etc. When they passed around the hat after their show, they seemed to do quite well with tips. I saw a number of people put in 1,000 yen notes. If you are interested, I could find the date and url for that competition.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » April 11th, 2008 3:51 pm

I saw a really good puppeteer in Asakusa around New Year's this year. He drew quite a crowd, but it didn't look like he made much money - my girlfriend reckons that's because there isn't such a culture of busking in Japan. Dunno if he got permission or not...

adam
New in Town

Daidogei

Postby adam » April 12th, 2008 11:08 am

Here's information about the festival I mentioned...
http://metropolis.co.jp/tokyotravel/tok ... velinc.htm

Apparently 1.5 million people attended the 4 day event!

atomsk
Site Admin

Postby atomsk » April 30th, 2008 8:17 pm

on a Sunday with nice weather there are so many bands performin at yoyogi park and towards the TV studios there.. i cant imagine how they all get licenses for that.

Return to “Visiting Japan”