a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

International ATM Machines

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

okunote
New in Town

International ATM Machines

Postby okunote » March 19th, 2008 6:57 pm

My bank says they exist. But I don't know how many their are or where exactly I can find them. Please let me know! I'm leaving next week and I need to know whether or not I should wait to exchange funds (because rate is so crappy right now) Thanks!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » March 20th, 2008 7:24 am

In general the post office ATMs seem the most compatible.
I had success with my VISA backed cards.
The only thing I noticed was a lower withdrawal limit. (When I was having problems one time lowering the amount I took out led to success)
Since I doubt that I could have navigated Japanese screens solely on instinct the screens are available in English.

I can't remember seeing any on the street, they were always inside or in a lobby. Usually the main post office in larger cities is by the station and has a 24 hour lobby.

I doubt a week will restore the dollar much. (or any other currency)
Check what sort of rate / transaction fee your bank charges on foreign withdrawals too.

Get 40% OFF
sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » March 20th, 2008 11:31 am

Try 7-Eleven convenient stores. The ATMs there should allow international cards to work.

In the ones I've been to, I had no problems at all using my ATM and credit cards to take out money.

From their website:
http://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/card2.html

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » March 26th, 2008 11:29 am

yeah 7-11 and Family Mart ATMs will let you use your foreign card.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

adigomezu
New in Town

ATM's

Postby adigomezu » March 28th, 2008 1:48 am

I didnt have any problems taking out money from my cards but one thing I didnt know was that you have to take out money in big increments ($100's). I wanted to take out $20 and couldnt, and had to take $100. This was the case at several ATM's I went too.

carlocol
New in Town

Postby carlocol » April 1st, 2008 2:51 am

I visited Japan in October 2006. I have an Australian bank issued Visa card. The 7-11 ATMs would not accept it (this may have changed since). The Post Office ATMs worked. Generally I used Post Office ATMs to get money.

The card also worked in a Citibank ATM (and friends have also had success with Citibank ATMs).

Cheers
C

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 1st, 2008 11:40 am

carlocol wrote:I visited Japan in October 2006. I have an Australian bank issued Visa card. The 7-11 ATMs would not accept it (this may have changed since).

7-Eleven started accepting foreign cards on July 11, 2007:

http://www.japan-hopper.com/2007/07/24_191072.php
お茶漬け海苔

Alain
New in Town

Postby Alain » April 6th, 2008 3:54 pm

I made a pdf from an old japan post website to show how to type at a japanese ATM, because the website has changed, and I can't find it more.
http://henro.free.fr/internationalATMe.pdf

Fedgrub
Expert on Something

Postby Fedgrub » May 13th, 2008 1:54 am

carlocol wrote:I visited Japan in October 2006. I have an Australian bank issued Visa card. The 7-11 ATMs would not accept it (this may have changed since). The Post Office ATMs worked. Generally I used Post Office ATMs to get money.

The card also worked in a Citibank ATM (and friends have also had success with Citibank ATMs).

Cheers
C

This has now been changed, and you can use your Australian Visa card in Japanese ATMs that display the Visa/Mastercard/Cirrus/Maestro symbols.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » May 13th, 2008 3:38 am

be sure to tell your bank, you'll be using your card in japan.

i've had problems using my US account from time to time if i use the card in a different country. tell them before you go so they can authorize it for use outside of your home country :idea:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

jbp2007
New in Town

Citibank and HSBC

Postby jbp2007 » May 13th, 2008 7:18 am

Hi,

I'm from Canada. Citibank and HSBC banks in Asia have been good to me (counting from about 10 years ago to present day) (Interac, Cirrus).

There are about 15 Citibank offices / ATM machine locations so they are pretty convenient. I think the only HSBC bank in Tokyo is near Nihombashi station (also Tokyo Station). I think the fees depend on the type of account/dollar volume, so I can't comment there.

Map to HSBC:
http://www.banking.hsbc.co.jp/jp/about/map.htm

Maps to Citibank: (branches first link, ATM only 2nd link)
http://www.citibank.co.jp/en/branch/index.html
http://www.citibank.co.jp/en/atm/index.html

I believe there is also a Citibank ATM in one of the Gate City Ohsaki buildings. And a few more ATMS which for some reason did not make it onto the official website.

I have used 7-11 as well and actually I could only withdraw exactly 10,000 yen, not more and not less!!! Also the charge was higher here to withdraw from a foreign (Canadian) bank.

Gambate kudasai.

andel_1
New in Town

ATMs for Foreign Cards

Postby andel_1 » May 22nd, 2008 1:02 pm

I have been in Japan in March 2008 with friends from UK and Holland. I myself am from Australia and have a Mastercard. The only ATM machines that worked for us in Tokyo were at the post offices. We could not use 7/11 stores ATMs. There are very few banks where one can use foreign cards to withdraw money. One is at Ueno for Mastercard, but I never found it, but POs are easy to find and worked every time. However make sure, if you make a mistake, to repeat transaction only once, if it still does not work, a third try will end in the loss of your card (I was nervous the first time and touched the wrong point on the touch screen, on the second try I put in too many zeros ... then I had to wait for 24 hours to try again on the advice of a post office employee who was on standby - thereafter no problem ever again).

Return to “Visiting Japan”