Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

1st "big" step visiting Tokyo...the train?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

1st "big" step visiting Tokyo...the train?

Postby mtpiper » November 6th, 2007 3:08 pm

It's my first trip outside the US/Canada to visit Japanese friends in Tokyo. My biggest mental (ie: fear) hurdle is getting from Narita to our hotel in Bunkyou-ku. I think once we're past that point, my mind will be at ease. What's the best (and least expensive) way to get from Narita to Korakuen station? Would it be bad form to ask our friends if they can take the train and meet us at the airport? It's quite a distance from Bunkyou-ku to Narita and I don't want to impose so much time on them to come and "hold our hands". We're planning on renting a cell phone while in Tokyo, so at least we'll be able to communicate with them from the start! We're going in mid July (I know, I know, it's going to be hot and humid, but it's the only time we can go) and we're trying to plow through as many JP lessons as we can before we go.
Thanks everybody!!
トニー

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » November 6th, 2007 4:12 pm

Really, don't worry about the train. There are station attendants who are used to dealing with lost tourists. It's a long trip from Tokyo and expensive, don't ask your friends to meet you.

But, when considering how to go to/from the airport you've got to think about your luggage and how comfortable you'll be to carry it around town and up and down stairs (no escalators/elevators in some stations)

If you're okay with carting it to Korakuen then check out http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/e-norikeyin.html for train connections... I think the one that involves the 9 minute walk at the transfer point is going to be the best balance of easy and cheap.

Otherwise, consider the bus if there's one that will drop you off near Korakuen. You're guaranteed a seat on the bus, and the extra cost is about the same as sending a bag by takyubin.

Get 40% OFF
mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

Postby mtpiper » November 6th, 2007 7:34 pm

annie wrote:...snip...
If you're okay with carting it to Korakuen then check out http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/e-norikeyin.html for train connections... I think the one that involves the 9 minute walk at the transfer point is going to be the best balance of easy and cheap.

sugoi!! That's just the kind of info I'm looking for! Good link!!
arigatou!!
トニー

JonB
Expert on Something

For the bus

Postby JonB » November 7th, 2007 3:27 am

Try this link
Airport Limousine

My suggestion would be to get the bus to Tokyo Dome Hotel and meet your friends there:
Tokyo Korakuen

Very easy - as is taking the train anywhere in Tokyo

mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

Re: For the bus

Postby mtpiper » November 7th, 2007 11:53 pm

JonB wrote:Very easy - as is taking the train anywhere in Tokyo

You're talking to a guy that lives in the lagest city in Montana, and the population here is just over 100,000. A public transportation user I am not. The largest "metro" area my wife and I ever lived in was Portland, Oregon. A million or so people spread far and wide....never rode public transit there either. So the Tokyo system will be a totally new experience to us. I'll check on the bus thing. I have no problem exploring the suway/train system there, but I don't want to do it for the first time while both of us have baggage in tow.

By the way, is there a typical length of time that it takes visitors to get through customs at Narita? We arrive at 5pm on a Wednesday.

Thanks for your patience with a new guy!!
トニー

JonB
Expert on Something

Don't worry

Postby JonB » November 8th, 2007 2:41 am

Just enjoy the adventure! All Tokyo metros now have a number system - there will be a letter followed by a number for the station number. All signs in the stations (in Tokyo) are also in English. In the centre in larger font will be the station name - there will also be an arrow pointing which way the train is going and underneath the next station name.

You can get English metro maps from most stations - point and shrug will get you a long way. Also remember that most Japanese have had around 6 years of English language education so they will be able to understand very basic questions at least and on the whole very helpful.

I have many work visitors from India where the towns may be bigger but the public transport is not and they have no problems.

Immigration is a tough one - it really depends what else is landing around the same time. I have cleared immigration in under 5 minutes (using the foreigner line) but it has also taken nearly 1.5 hours (stuck behind a plane full of south american kids on a school trip!!).

After you come out into arrivals straight across from you are the bus counters. The staff there will speak enough English to get you on the right bus.

Have a great trip - nice time of the year to come

mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

Re: Don't worry

Postby mtpiper » November 8th, 2007 3:23 pm

JonB wrote:Just enjoy the adventure!
Immigration is a tough one - it really depends what else is landing around the same time.
Have a great trip - nice time of the year to come

With a 5pm arrival (I think a couple other carriers have 5pm arrivals from the US) and the last bus at 6:30pm, we'll probably just jump feet first into our adventure and plan on taking the train...not even stress about rushing to get the bus. If we breeze through customs, and have the time, then we'll grab a bus.

arigato! I'm really looking forward to going for a run with our friend. She says she runs around the Imperial Palace area and down to Ginza and back to her home west of the dome....should be an adventure for a guy that lives in 15% humidity most of the year! We are so looking forward to this trip! I'm sure you can't tell by my digging for details and the trip still being 8 months away! I'm probably driving my wife nuts!
トニー

JonB
Expert on Something

Wow

Postby JonB » November 9th, 2007 4:53 am

Still 8 months away - I thought it was round the corner. :wink:

You are right - you probably will miss that last bus but buses also go much later to TCAT and Tokyo station which are not a million miles away. Also consider the Skyliner into Ueno and maybe get out at Nippori. Not too far away.

Wait - 8 months, that makes it next July? Be prepared for much more that 15% humidity, much more...

mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

Re: Wow

Postby mtpiper » November 9th, 2007 2:15 pm

JonB wrote:Still 8 months away - I thought it was round the corner. :wink:

Wait - 8 months, that makes it next July? Be prepared for much more that 15% humidity, much more...

Yeah, we're prepared for that. I've been in Florida in August (when the locals say it's hot...34C and high humidity) and also the central US where it can be quite warm and humid. Maybe I'm built for those conditions because it doesn't bother me. Now, Tokyo may be way worse, but I'm not going into this thinking it's going to be like Montana...although we have our share of 41C days here in the summer! But 41C and 10% is much easier to take than 32C and 60%!!! I'll bet winter in Tokyo is "worse" than here also. -35C and <10% here is much easier to endure outside than +2C and rain! Does it get that cold there??
トニー

JonB
Expert on Something

can do

Postby JonB » November 12th, 2007 3:13 am

easier to endure outside than +2C and rain! Does it get that cold there??

February can get quite cold especially out in the country or the burbs. But fortunately it does not rain so much that time of year. Cold but crisp! Could Fuji viewing season

mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

Re: can do

Postby mtpiper » November 12th, 2007 3:19 pm

JonB wrote:February can get quite cold especially out in the country or the burbs. But fortunately it does not rain so much that time of year. Cold but crisp! Could Fuji viewing season

Cold and crisp is nice!! Maybe we'll plan our next trip to happen that time of year....

JonB
Expert on Something

My friend arrived yesterday

Postby JonB » November 14th, 2007 3:00 am

From the UK. His plane landed at 0743 and by 0820 he was phoning me having come through immigration, picking up his bags, exchanging his JR Pass and booking his train ticket.

I was shocked! Good job I was already up and about :lol:

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » March 20th, 2008 4:24 am

Here's a bit of advice for those who never take mass transit:

Get yourself used to walking all the time. Build up those callaouses!! You'll be grateful that you did at home instead of suffering when you get to Japan.

mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

Postby mtpiper » June 19th, 2008 11:07 pm

untmdsprt wrote:Here's a bit of advice for those who never take mass transit:

Get yourself used to walking all the time. Build up those callaouses!! You'll be grateful that you did at home instead of suffering when you get to Japan.

Well, we're inside the 30-day countdown and really excited to go! We're getting our walking legs in shape, have a little Japanese language under our belts, a Japanese cell phone on the way, and 2 suica cards from our friend in Tokyo! I think we're ready!
Thank you to everyone for the advice and help!!
トニー

mtpiper
Been Around a Bit

Postby mtpiper » July 31st, 2008 5:06 pm

mtpiper wrote:Well, we're inside the 30-day countdown and really excited to go! We're getting our walking legs in shape, have a little Japanese language under our belts, a Japanese cell phone on the way, and 2 suica cards from our friend in Tokyo! I think we're ready!
Thank you to everyone for the advice and help!!
トニー

We're back from Tokyo. What an amazing place!!
Everyone was right....the trains were nothing to worry about! We ended up being picked up at the airport by our friends, so we didn't have lug bags to a train into Tokyo.
We love the train/subway system there!! And suica makes it a breeze to get around, just watch the card balance (displayed every time you go through a gate) and refill when necessary! The only hitch we ran into with suica was when we took the shinkansen to Nagano. We went through the normal gates to get the train to Tokyo station, but when we got there, we went straight to the shinansen ticket gates and the attendant told us to not swipe our suica, but to use the shinkansen ticket through the gate. No problem until we returned to Tokyo. We again went straight to a local train gate and got "denied" at the gate (we had swiped into the system the day before, but never swiped out when we transferred to shinkansen). A quick check with the station attendant got us going again with no questions.

Thanks again for all your advice! We already want to go back!
トニー

Return to “Visiting Japan”