a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Gifts for Japanese friends

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

kashikoi
New in Town

Gifts for Japanese friends

Postby kashikoi » May 19th, 2006 4:53 pm

My sister and I will be in Tokyo for three weeks this summer, and we're meeting up with a number of Japanese friends we met on our previous trip. I think it would be appropriate for us to bring gifts to give them, but what sorts of things would be appropriate to give? Also, in a more specific instance, we'll be meeting my penpal who knows only me (not my sister). Would it be good for us each to bring a gift for her, or can the two of us give one jointly? Any advice on the situation would be appreciated! Doumo arigatou!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Gifts for Japanese friends

Postby Bueller_007 » May 22nd, 2006 11:14 am

kashikoi wrote:My sister and I will be in Tokyo for three weeks this summer, and we're meeting up with a number of Japanese friends we met on our previous trip. I think it would be appropriate for us to bring gifts to give them, but what sorts of things would be appropriate to give? Also, in a more specific instance, we'll be meeting my penpal who knows only me (not my sister). Would it be good for us each to bring a gift for her, or can the two of us give one jointly? Any advice on the situation would be appreciated! Doumo arigatou!

They'll be pleased, regardless of what you give them. But ideally, it should be something that your country is famous for. (i.e. if you are Canadian, you can give maple products) You don't have to spend much. When giving souvenirs to Japanese people, it is really the thought that counts. (And presentation. If possible, wrap your presents neatly.)

I'm not sure about the joint/individual present thing. I think one (slightly more expensive than you would buy if you were alone) present will be fine.

FYI, there is a special phrase used by Japanese when giving souvenirs:
"Tsumaranai mono desu ga..." (Lit: "This is only a trifle, but...")
You should say this when you give it to her. She'll likely ask permission to open it, but don't be surprised if she just puts it aside and opens it after you've left.

Get 40% OFF
patchmonkey
Been Around a Bit

Postby patchmonkey » May 23rd, 2006 1:16 am

My recommendation would match most of that, but especially if you're a college student, bring gifts from your college. Thus, if you go to UCLA, bring UCLA gear; if you go to Maryland, bring TerpWear.

What not to give includes:
- Disney Character goods, as there is an abundance of Disney coming out of everything here;
- Snoopy and Peanuts goods, as everyone has Snoopy stuff;
- Hello Kitty stuff (unless there's a small child);
And from that, you should get the idea.

-patchmonkey[/list]

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 24th, 2006 6:01 pm

I agree with everything above. The Japanese are big into what they called "meibutsu" are famous products specific to a town or region. Every village no matter how small in Japan probably has a meibutsu. The more specific you can get to your country/state/town (university) the better.

Some things to remember about gift giving is never give presents in sets of four (four is sometimes pronounced as "shi" which also means death). There are other rules and rules that are specific to the occasion but that is probably the most important one. It shouldn't be a problem for you to give a gift from both you and your sister to your penpal. In fact, it might even be more appropriate for the present only to be from you and then if your sister could give your penpal a "farewell" gift for helping you both out so much.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 25th, 2006 4:43 am

Satsujin wrote:The more specific you can get to your country/state/town (university) the better.

Unless you went to a no-name university, came from a no-name town... Then, regardless of how great the product is, I think you're better to "think big" and get something from your state, country, etc. Or you could just tell them that your town/university is famous, and they'd probably never know the difference.

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 25th, 2006 1:50 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:[Unless you went to a no-name university, came from a no-name town... Then, regardless of how great the product is, I think you're better to "think big" and get something from your state, country, etc. Or you could just tell them that your town/university is famous, and they'd probably never know the difference.

That's just it they won't know that it isn't famous. I see people from America coming to Japan all the time and being billed as "the newest star singer/performer from America" when they are nobodies in America. And there shows sell-out to people who don't know any better.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with gifts. I don't think you can go to wrong. As was already said it is the thought that counts.

CrazySwayzee
Been Around a Bit

Postby CrazySwayzee » August 29th, 2006 1:37 am

you maybe want to bring souveneirs from where you live and bring them to Japan for them.

I bet they would love to have a piece of your culture
:wink:

daynah
New in Town

Postby daynah » April 8th, 2007 2:44 am

Chocolate and wine seemed to please my husband's family. :)

Return to “Visiting Japan”