Or sign up using Facebook

Crack Down on that Kanji!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Flexi
New in Town

Crack Down on that Kanji!

Postby Flexi » August 20th, 2007 9:11 pm

Hey everyone!

I just came back from a 22 day visit to Japan last week - an unforgetable experience.
After loading over 200 JPod lessons under my belt, I was much better equipped for the real deal than I had been before - so for both the teachers and the students of Japanese Pod 101 - keep up the good work! Being in the middle of the 'hot' period, I spent much of the time perspiring through various cultural and other attractions and diving for cover in air-conditioned buildings - but it was definately worth it! Anyone who is considering should step forward and make their move, because I had a fantastic time scaling central Japan, including places such as Osaka, Hamamatsu and Kamikochi.
One particular experience to note, however, was in an interesting local bar in Takayama. My family and I were trying to locate a restaurant mentioned in the Lonely Planet guide for that evening's dinner, but with our efforts in vain. Stepping into one of the places nearby, I found myself faced with the responsibility of wading through the all-Japanese menu in order to choose us something to eat (my mother and sister's Japanese was fairly limited). Now, although I comfortably know a couple of hundred kanji, this menu was too much, with its spider-like writing depicting words that I didn't recognise. After using the classic helplines such as 'what do you recommend' and 'can you explain the menu to me?' to the rather nervous, non English-speaking young bartender, we finally made some progress. A series of 'mystery' dishes then followed, with the three of us not really sure whether they were what we'd ordered, but not exactly in a position to complain.
The moral of the tale? Learn those kanji! Before I came to Japan, I wasn't really aware of how useful these Chinese characters were - I thought it would be more for those interested in reading literature or writing letters. But trust me, the hours of study will be worth it! There's a whole number of occasions where you'll come across situations where there's no English or romaji translation, and what's more, it will open up a whole host of new doors. Just think - no more skipping all the delicious looking authentic restaurants, because the menu's giving you kanji-only access.
Remember, keep your head down, and prepare to reap the rewards!

All the best,

#Flex#

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » August 21st, 2007 10:35 pm

I always carry an electronic dictionary that allows me to jot down Kanji and get the meaning in English.

Although there's no subsitution for actually knowing Kanji, it has helped me along, and I consider it part of the learning process.

Get 40% OFF
shungen
Been Around a Bit

Postby shungen » August 26th, 2007 11:43 am

Flexi-san,

When you saw those uncomprehendable words, did you ask the waitress,
「これなんと言いますか?」
this is the best way of asking pronounciation that I know. From there you can ask what the thing actually is...

I actually never had a problem learning kanji, mainly cuz I am from HK~~~ :lol:

Clancy
New in Town

Postby Clancy » August 31st, 2007 9:06 am

I think the "spider-like writing depicting words" you saw on the menu are words written in calligraphic style so that you didn't recognize.

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Postby lonna_senpai » September 10th, 2007 10:24 am

I'm going to Tokyo in about a month and all the kanji I can find that has to do anything with food is posted noted all around my computer and my desk! How ironic!!

Return to “Visiting Japan”