a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Gifts to Local Japanese

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Haruka
New in Town

Gifts to Local Japanese

Postby Haruka » July 19th, 2007 3:38 am

I will be stopping over Tokyo for 3 days, arriving this Sunday. Just wondering what should I bring for local Japanese. It seems every product we have in Australia, Japan often have them too. (Sometimes, probably a more exciting version of it. eg Strawberry flavour KitKat)

Thought of bringing red wine...but with the new airline security measures. Don't think it is allowed to bring on board, or too much trouble to do so anyway.

Help me~~ ideas please!
:roll:

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » July 19th, 2007 2:01 pm

As regards the cabin security measures, as long as you don't have to change flights you can buy the wine in duty free beyond the security cordon and bring it on board. If you change flights you go through security again and they'll confiscate the liquids.

(Annoyingly I couldn't bring 日本酒 back from Japan because of this. Not a good idea to put bottles in my check-in luggage I thought. I also ended up bringing over French wine instead of English cider. -- My transfer was Paris)

Japan limits you to bringing in 3 x 750ml bottles of alcohol I think.

It's the thought that counts. Bring something typically Australian.
Vegimite! and it's food.
Food is good because the recipient doesn't have to store it as such. Something small and/or practical is also good I think. Things I wouldn't mind from Australia would be a slouch hat (no corks)... a boomerang, that'd be fun in a Tokyo crowded park... A small book of photographs maybe... T shirts proclaiming Australian laid-back beach existence...

- - - edit - - -
maybe not the slouch hat because of military associations, I'm not sure. They're probably expensive too.

Get 40% OFF
seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » July 19th, 2007 11:24 pm

Vegemite is cool, but as I'm sure you're aware, it's a bit of an acquired taste, and most Japanese I have exposed to it have not liked it (I usually have a "World Foods" lesson and try to let the kids try some unusual foods from other countries).

Japanese are "kawaii" mad, so koala-related products are always good. Candy that is specifically Australian is great; something made in Australia is excellent (but be prepared for the automatic "It's too sweet" response...). Nuts and such are also good gifts, as are cookies/biscuits, teas, coffees, and other dry goods.

As for wine, you can always put it in your checked luggage; it's only carry-on that you can't have liquids in.

Sean

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 20th, 2007 5:56 am

Tim Tams.

dorothia15
New in Town

Postby dorothia15 » July 24th, 2007 6:21 am

seanolan wrote:Vegemite is coo

Sean

may what is Vegemite ?
dorothy cruz

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » July 26th, 2007 3:14 am

if they've been to your country before ask them! I just brought back PG Tips and Lemsip Max for one friend - good timing as she had Flu!

Chocolates always go down a treat as do biscuits like Tim Tam - try and get some of the different flavours as you can get the basic Tim Tams in Tokyo. Honey is something we brought back from Australia

Generally it is the thought that counts but they do seem to like food items

Return to “Visiting Japan”