Other
100%

Total votes: 1

tequilatamm
Been Around a Bit

Osaka Hotels

Postby tequilatamm » May 1st, 2007 12:37 am

Hi all.

We go to Japan every year over Christmas/New Years: Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo.

Last year was our first year visiting Osaka, and we stayed in the Namba Area, at the Swissotel Nankai.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the hotel, and it was well-located above the train station. We are contemplating staying there again.

However, we only got as far north last time in Osaka as the river and the Pedestrian Bridge where all the crowds are... we never even made it as far as Umeda until the day we passed through the train station on our way to Kyoto.

So this year, we are thinking that we should stay in the Umeda area, so that we see the parts we haven't seen yet.

We would have liked to have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, but it's already full! So we are considering either the Hilton or the Hankyu International.

The Hankyu International looks very nice and has absolutely palatial sized rooms by even Western Standards (40 sq m). It also seems to be know for its fantastic service.

Our only concern here is that it is not as centrally located as the Hilton, being about a 10 minute walk, apparently, from the train stations.

It sounds like this walk is underground in the train station areas, but we're not 100% positive.

Anyone out there who is familiar with the area, I'd appreciate your opinion on the Hankyu International's location, and whether we are really missing something by staying a little further away, instead of at the Hilton which looks to be VERY central.

Thanks in advance!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Osaka Hotels

Postby Bueller_007 » May 1st, 2007 4:00 am

Hankyu International is about the same distance to a train station (Hankyu Umeda Station) as the Hilton is (the Hilton has a subway line right beneath it, but it's not a particularly useful line for tourists, so you'll have to walk 5-10 min to JR Osaka station). The Hilton is in a more convenient location for shopping, etc. They're both more conveniently located than the Ritz, though. Rihga Royal Osaka is even more inconveniently located, but it's in a good part of Osaka, and I've heard very good things. They're building a Keihan train station right near there now (which will provide direct connections to Kyoto), but I don't know when it will be done. Until then, it's about a 10-15 min walk to the fun part of Umeda, and even farther to a train station.

If you're just using the hotel as a jump-off point to go travelling to Kyoto, etc., then I'd stay at Hankyu. (The walk is above ground, BTW.) If you actually want to get out and explore Umeda, then the Hilton is probably a better choice.

Personally, I'd stay at the Rihga because the building fascinates me.

Get 40% OFF
tequilatamm
Been Around a Bit

Postby tequilatamm » May 1st, 2007 4:23 am

Thanks for the info, Bueller.

This choice is a tough one. Hankyu is a much larger room for a cheaper price.

But the idea of trudging along outside with our luggage to get to the hotel from the train doesn't thrill us, even if it's only a 10 minute journey. (Husband has a bad back, so dragging luggage along needs to be kept to a minimum). It will also be the middle of winter, so it won't be particularly warm and there's always a chance of snow, I assume.

We may do a day trip to Kobe, but the intention in staying in Umeda is to explore it, and shopping is pretty high on our list too, so the more central we are to the shops, the better.

Given that, it sounds like maybe the Hilton is the better option.

The New Hankyu appears to be the most conveniently located in that area, but it is not the same class of hotel.

What to do... what to do....

*Trudges off with head hung to do a bit more thinking*

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 1st, 2007 4:40 am

Hotel New Hankyu has an amazing location. Basically, you just go down the elevator and you're at Hankyu station (which has direct connections to Kobe and Kyoto). Go down to the underground and you're at Midosuji (the main subway line).

Return to “Visiting Japan”