Or sign up using Facebook

Signing up for wireless Internet in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Tom
Established Presence

Signing up for wireless Internet in Japan

Postby Tom » March 29th, 2007 1:19 am

I have arrived in Japan! Finally!

I would like Internet access in my dorm room, but to have wired Internet installed would take several weeks. I was told that it would take less time to apply for wireless Internet service (over the cell networks, I believe). Which companies provide this service? I don't know how to look yet.

I have a Japanese tutor who could help me apply once I know where. I am in Fukuoka, Kyushu.
By the way, I made it to Japan

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Signing up for wireless Internet in Japan

Postby Bueller_007 » March 29th, 2007 7:37 am

Tom wrote:I would like Internet access in my dorm room, but to have wired Internet installed would take several weeks. I was told that it would take less time to apply for wireless Internet service (over the cell networks, I believe). Which companies provide this service? I don't know how to look yet.

I've never heard of this, but I'm sure if it exists, you'd need to buy/rent a special card for your computer, and it would cost you a FORTUNE in packet charges, and the speed would be pretty crappy. I can do it by "dialing-up" through my cell phone and firing the internet connection over to my computer by Bluetooth, but I've never done it because the packet charges would put me in the poor house.

Yahoo BB and other normal broadband providers take about 3-6 weeks to get connected.

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » March 29th, 2007 9:19 am

If you're there for a while, wait the few weeks to get a wired connection installed. Like Bueller already said, If they're talking about wireless internet through the cell phone network, they'll charge per packet and the speed's going to be bleh compared to a "proper" broadband connection.

In the meantime, if you have a laptop scrounge around and see if there may be some free WiFI hotspots around.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » March 30th, 2007 6:38 am

Jason wrote:In the meantime, if you have a laptop scrounge around and see if there may be some free WiFI hotspots around.

Good point.

Most, if not all, Seattle's Best Coffee outlets in Japan have free Wi-Fi access.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » March 31st, 2007 12:26 am

I used someone else's wireless network for a whole year while I was living in Chiba.

If any of your neighbors have internet access already, see if you can set up a wireless network with them. (saving you all money)

Otherwise, wait the month. It sucks, but that's the way it works here.

Tom
Established Presence

Postby Tom » April 3rd, 2007 9:27 am

Thanks for the advice! I spent a week looking for alternatives, but my neighbors aren't keen on sharing. I think I will sign up for the wired Internet. Oh well.
By the way, I made it to Japan

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 11th, 2009 12:13 pm

Return to “Visiting Japan”