a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Using Japanese appliances in the US

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mcrist
New in Town

Using Japanese appliances in the US

Postby mcrist » January 17th, 2007 9:55 am

So, I just returned from Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, etc...) I must say the survival phrases 1-10 were amazingly helpful, I recommend them to everyone. I am continuing to study Japanese now that I am back in the US.

I bought a Japanese appliance and need to find a step down travel converter. It needs 100v 200w 50-60Hz. I should have bought a travel converter in Japan, for travel to the US. I need to find one here in th USA. I am hoping someone has dealt with this in the past. I know they have small ones, but alas my internet searches only found larger oversized transformers.

Thank you in advance.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Using Japanese appliances in the US

Postby Bueller_007 » January 17th, 2007 10:50 am

mcrist wrote:So, I just returned from Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, etc...) I must say the survival phrases 1-10 were amazingly helpful, I recommend them to everyone. I am continuing to study Japanese now that I am back in the US.

I bought a Japanese appliance and need to find a step down travel converter. It needs 100v 200w 50-60Hz. I should have bought a travel converter in Japan, for travel to the US. I need to find one here in th USA. I am hoping someone has dealt with this in the past. I know they have small ones, but alas my internet searches only found larger oversized transformers.

Thank you in advance.

Why do you need a converter? Japanese & American appliances basically take the same current, no? I've had no problems plugging in any of my Japanese stuff in Canada or Canadian stuff in Japan without one.

I guess eastern Japanese stuff runs 50Hz instead of 60Hz, but that shouldn't be an issue for most devices.

Get 40% OFF
ssocko123
New in Town

Postby ssocko123 » February 14th, 2007 4:29 am

___
Last edited by ssocko123 on May 17th, 2007 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dai
New in Town

Postby Dai » March 21st, 2007 4:13 pm

I hope this information is still useful. I have an import Saturn and had this problem awhile back. I was able to get a very tiny converter (sized much like the ones you use to plug three-prong plugs into two-prong outlets) at Tanner's in Dallas. So my advice is just to visit electronics stores (like Fry's, etc.) until you can find one. It may be a bit difficult, but the search is worth it.

And yes, some people say you can use Japanese appliances, etc. in America with little trouble, but people who know more about electronics have advised me at least that a converter is a good thing to have.

Return to “Visiting Japan”