Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Itching to practice your Japanese? Use romaji, kana (hiragana and katakana), and kanji, and try to keep the English at a minimum and have fun!

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderator Team

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 8th, 2015 7:37 pm

ありがとう。

This is just a quick technical practice session and an attempt at using the potential conjugation:

今私のコンピュータは漢字と仮名を作れます。でも私は大して漢字を読めます.
(Now, my computer can make kanji and kana. But, I cannot read much Kanji.)

I'm sure there's a better word to use in the first sentence than 作る.

仮名を分かる近いさきいきには漢字をつかう。
(To get to know the kana, for the near future I won't use Kanji).

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 10th, 2015 2:40 am

今日の話題:話したい
きょうのわだい:はなしたい
(Today's theme: I want to talk)

For this post, I want to use three closely-related verbs (いう、はなす、かたる) with the -tai conjugation to indicate a want.

ありがとといいたかった。
I wanted to say "thank you."

なにもいいたくなかった。
I didn't want to say anything.

たなかさんとはなしたいか。
Do you want to speak with Tanaka?

まえにひとごみがはなしたくない。
I don't want to speak in front of a crowd.

わたしにえいごをはなしたくなかった。
He did not want to speak English to me.

うそをかたりたくない。
I don't want to tell lies.

ものがたりをかたりはじめたい。
I want to start to tell a story. (Or maybe ものがたりしはじめたい?)

たなかさんにそれをしないといいたかった。
I wanted to tell Tanaka not to do that.

Get 50% OFF.
community.japanese
Expert on Something
Posts: 2704
Joined: November 16th, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby community.japanese » August 12th, 2015 12:08 am

jim.schuler san,
konnichiwa.
Good try! :D
As you said 作る should not be used here.
今私のコンピュータで漢字と仮名がタイプできます is natural in Japanese.
でも私は大して漢字を読めます. Grammatically correct!

Please note other corrections below.
将来、仮名を知るために、漢字をつかわない。

ありがとうといいたかった。

たなかさんとはなしたいですか。

ひとごみのなかではなしたくない。

かれはわたしにえいごをはなしたくなかった。

うそをいいたくない。
Others are correct!
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 14th, 2015 6:16 am

ありがとう由紀さん

Some of those corrections were very interesting. It's not "in front of/before" a crowd, but rather "inside/amongst" a crowd? And I was surprised at the correction for telling a lie. I figured that, grammatically, lies would be like stories. 語る is going to be trickier than I thought.

今日の話題:出来る

日本語を話せたい。
I want to be able to speak Japanese.

私はそれが働くのを作れました。
I was able to make it work.

田中さんに会うのに待ちません。
I can't wait to meet Tanaka.

フーヅーニーは何でもから逃げられました。
Houdini could escape from anything.

community.japanese
Expert on Something
Posts: 2704
Joined: November 16th, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby community.japanese » August 14th, 2015 9:55 pm

jim.schuler san
こんにちは。どういたしまして。
jim.schuler wrote: It's not "in front of/before" a crowd, but rather "inside/amongst" a crowd?

Yes, it’s なかで in Japanese.

Please note the corrections below.

日本語を話せるようになりたい。
I want to be able to speak Japanese.

私はそれを働かせました。Or それを動かしました。
I was able to make it work.
‘make’ here is a causative verb so it’s different from normal verb ‘作る.’
the verb after それを depends on それ.

田中さんに会うことを待ちきれません。or 田中さんに早く会いたいです。
I can't wait to meet Tanaka.

フーヅーニーはあらゆることから逃げられました。
Houdini could escape from anything.
...Is Houdini a person’s name?

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 14th, 2015 11:35 pm

ありがとう由紀さん。

community.japanese wrote:the verb after それを depends on それ.

I assume 働かせました would be for people, and 動かしました would be for everything else?

community.japanese wrote:田中さんに会うことを待ちきれません。

ます stem verb + きる, "to do completely." I love the smell of new grammar in the morning.

But, this seems to be used for anticipation. What if it wasn't excitement, but I literally did not have time to meet with Tanaka?

ここに終電があります。私はカプセルホテルに泊まりません。待てません。
The last train is here. I'm not going to stay at a capsule hotel. I can't wait.

community.japanese wrote:...Is Houdini a person’s name?

はい。米国に早いじきゅ世紀にフーヅーニーは最高なマジシャンでした。
Yes. Houdini was the greatest magician in early 19th-century America.

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 15th, 2015 9:41 am

今日の話題:どころ

海水が冷たいだで泳ぎ隊たいどころじゃありません。
The ocean water is too cold for me to want to swim. Or maybe...
海水が冷たすぎるだで泳ぎたいどころじゃありません。

この魚は美味しいどころじゃありません。
This fish is beyond delicious.

マッキンリサンを登れません。富士山どころじゃありません。
I can't climb Mt. McKinley. It's nothing like Mt. Fuji. (I don't know if 山 should be in katakana with マッキンリ as if it's part of a compound word, or hiragana/kanji as if it's separate. Since 山 uses the onyomi for pronunciation here, I'm going with the former.)

それが読めないどころかそれも見られません。
Not only can't I read that, I can't even see it.

community.japanese
Expert on Something
Posts: 2704
Joined: November 16th, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby community.japanese » August 15th, 2015 5:42 pm

jim.schuler さん,
こんにちは。 :)
どういたしまして。

jim.schuler wrote:I assume 働かせました would be for people, and 動かしました would be for everything else?


働かせました should be used for people and 動かしました or 作動させました should be used for machines.

jim.schuler wrote:ます stem verb + きる, "to do completely." I love the smell of new grammar in the morning.

Yes, that is right.

お金を使いきる is often said which means 'I spent money completely.'

jim.schuler wrote:ここに終電があります。私はカプセルホテルに泊まりません。待てません。
The last train is here. I'm not going to stay at a capsule hotel. I can't wait.


Well…
Do you mean ‘you are not going to stay at a capsule hotel because you are going to catch the last train’? I am sorry what can’t you wait for? You can’t wait for Mr. Tanaka because of that?

Please note the corrections below.

海水が冷たすぎて泳ぎたいどころじゃありません。
The ocean water is too cold for me to want to swim. Or maybe...

この魚は美味しいどころじゃありません。
This fish is beyond delicious.
The sentence should be followed by ‘すごく美味しいです.’

マッキンリ-に登れません。富士山どころじゃありません。
You should explain the reason why you can’t climb the mountain.
For example, もっと高い山ですから。

それが読めないどころか見えません。。
Not only can't I read that, I can't even see it.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 15th, 2015 8:16 pm

ありがとう。

community.japanese wrote:Well…
Do you mean ‘you are not going to stay at a capsule hotel because you are going to catch the last train’? I am sorry what can’t you wait for? You can’t wait for Mr. Tanaka because of that?

That I can't wait around to meet Mr. Tanaka.

「ここに終電があって私はカプセルホテルに泊まるの拒みますから。。。」might be clearer.
(Because the last train is here and I refuse to stay at a capsule hotel...)

community.japanese wrote:マッキンリ-に登れません。富士山どころじゃありません。
You should explain the reason why you can’t climb the mountain.
For example, もっと高い山ですから。


マッキンリ-に登れません。雪崩で、山道なくて、凍死易くさせて、3週間かかります。富士山どころじゃありません。
I can't climb Mt. McKinley. There are avalanches, no mountain trails, you can easily freeze to death, and it takes three weeks. It's nothing like Mt. Fuji.

community.japanese
Expert on Something
Posts: 2704
Joined: November 16th, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby community.japanese » August 16th, 2015 5:13 pm

jim.schuler さん、
こんにちは。 :)
どういたしまして。
Regarding the first sentence, are you at a station?
Can you see the last train when you are saying that sentence?
If your answers are ‘no’, you should not use ‘ここ.’
Then the correct sentence is
田中さんを待つことはできません。なぜなら、カプセルホテルには泊まらないで終電に乗る予定だからです。
Regarding the second sentence,
I See. However, the better sentence is
マッキンリ-に登れません。なぜなら、雪崩で、山道なくて、凍死しやすくて、(頂上に着くまで?) or (下山するまで?) に3週間かかるからです。その大変さは富士山どころじゃありません。
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 17th, 2015 4:29 am

community.japanese wrote:Regarding the first sentence, are you at a station?
Can you see the last train when you are saying that sentence?

はい。私はそれを思い描ました。
(Yes. That is how I imagined it.)

community.japanese wrote:Then the correct sentence is
田中さんを待つことはできません。なぜなら、カプセルホテルには泊まらないで終電に乗る予定だからです。

Let's pick through this.
Is there any difference between 「田中さんを待つことはできません」and 「田中さんを待てません」? And, is there a difference between using の and こと in your sentence?

Would 「田中さんを待つことが持てません」work as well? "I cannot afford to wait for Mr. Tanaka?" "Afford" seems to be a tough verb to translate into Japanese.

「なぜなら、カプセルホテルには泊まらないで終電に乗る予定だからです」
"Because, I intend to ride the last train and not stay at a capsule hotel, that's why."
Is that right? It's the だからです at the end that is confusing me.

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 19th, 2015 11:17 am

今日の話題:よむ

私たちは天気によって泳ぎに行ける。
We can go swimming depending on the weather.

時間によって遊ぶ為にくる。
Depending on the time, I will come to hang out.

田中さんが何ということによって私は助けるかもしれません。
Depending on what Mr. Tanaka says, I might help.

田中さんが何をかうことによってそれを読みます。
Depending on what Mr. Tanaka buys, I will read it.

community.japanese
Expert on Something
Posts: 2704
Joined: November 16th, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby community.japanese » August 20th, 2015 11:23 am

jim.schuler さん、
こんにちは。
jim.schuler wrote:はい。私はそれを思い描ました。
(Yes. That is how I imagined it.)


I see.

jim.schuler wrote:Is there any difference between 「田中さんを待つことはできません」and 「田中さんを待てません」? And, is there a difference between using の and こと in your sentence?


「田中さんを待つことはできません」and 「田中さんを待てません」have the same meaning.

の is more commonly used subjective matter and indicates more casual than the other.
こと is more commonly used objective matter and sounds slightly more formal.
jim.schuler wrote:「なぜなら、カプセルホテルには泊まらないで終電に乗る予定だからです」
"Because, I intend to ride the last train and not stay at a capsule hotel, that's why."
Is that right? It's the だからです at the end that is confusing me.


Yes, that is right.

corrections
田中さんが何というかによって、私は手伝うかもしれません。
Depending on what Mr. Tanaka says, I might help.

田中さんが何をかうかによって, それを読みます。
Depending on what Mr. Tanaka buys, I will read it.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

jim.schuler
Established Presence
Posts: 71
Joined: July 20th, 2015 4:57 am

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby jim.schuler » August 20th, 2015 1:59 pm

ありがとう、でも。。。

私がさようどそれを解いてこと*と信じているの*にさいして、由紀さんはカーブをなげます。 :cry:
(Just when I believed I had it figured out, Yuki-san throws a curve.)

*Are those right in the subjective/objective sense? Of course, now I realize there are two possible meanings to that.

初めに一番簡単をしましょう。
(Let's do the easiest first.)

What is the difference between 手伝う and 助ける?

今、それはより難しいです。
(Now, the more difficult one).

Why か and not こと in those two sentences?

community.japanese
Expert on Something
Posts: 2704
Joined: November 16th, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Koko wa Nihongo wo bouryoko shimasu

Postby community.japanese » August 25th, 2015 12:15 am

jim.schulerさん、
こんにちは。
I really understand what you said and I have been trying to give you easiest sentences however, if I did so, the translation would be weird and unnatural completely.
Therefore, I gave those sentences.

手伝う means ‘help’ and is used for easy tasks.
助ける means ‘save’ and is used for someone being in danger.

If you say かうことによって, the meaning is ‘by buying something.’

I think you try to make complicated sentences so shall we practise easier sentence structures?
:)
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com


Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”