The Best Way To Get Started

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Jonkerman
New in Town

The Best Way To Get Started

Postby Jonkerman » September 8th, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi there,

Im rene jonkerman from the Netherlands.
Yesterday i joined japanesepod101 so every thing is new for me.
i just walked thourgh the forum and i just couldnt find the answer by myself.

My question is what's the best way to start lerning japanese with japanesepod101?

my guess is:

lern the kana
then start with newbie lessons
then beginner
lower intermediate
intermediate
upper intermediate
JLPT ?

but there are also other categories like:

introduction, culture, trowback thursday, particles, yojijukugo, ect

so where/how must i start and what can i take parralel with the lessons?

sorry for the bad english i dont wright/use english that mutch.

Jonkerman
New in Town

Postby Jonkerman » September 9th, 2010 9:27 am

i finaly noticed the email in my inbox lol
now figger it out how it all works thanks to that video...

just start with introduction
and than that order
but im still currious if i can take anny lessons parralel like premium or culture.

i had 31 viewer and none reacts...
are you guys that helpfull to others?

im putting that aside and try to find for you guys a kicking way to start.
but i realy appreciate anny help or comment.

we dutch lern 4 languages as a base on school. im used to the germanic languages
i just see dutch, english, german ect. as a big germanic dialect.

im just hoping that WE can create for the (new) people a good way to get started

Get 40% OFF
Jonkerman
New in Town

Postby Jonkerman » September 9th, 2010 11:01 am

well here goes the attempt

i think the best way to start is with lerning the katakana
followed by hiragana than kanji

katakana are more boxshaped symbols it will be easier to remeber because our script is also boxy..

this is how i would start.

i begin with the first 5 symbols: a i u e o

to print this in your head you must lern how you must wright them and pronounce them.

wright the first symbols and the prenouncemend next to it repeat that a copple of times

make flash cards (papers with the symbolon the front and the prenouncement at the back)
to lern the idoms

when you mastered those first go to the next: ka ki ku ke ko
lern them 2 and try to mix them abit with the prevorios symbols

and so on

wrighting them is most times the best way to memorise them its a total difrent script and it wont hurt to lern how you must wright it dont you think?

begin with a half hour studie and build this up
you wont lern it if you drown yourself with information!
your brain must have the opportunity to be able the process

next to that use pods!

good luck!

Jonkerman
New in Town

Postby Jonkerman » September 10th, 2010 4:52 pm

hiragana is mutch easier than katakana you should start there
found some intresting tools and video's on this site
Last edited by Jonkerman on September 10th, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jonkerman
New in Town

Postby Jonkerman » September 10th, 2010 5:00 pm

im realy getting the impression that no body whants to help eatch other here.
or even whants to give anny tips, advice or even anny comment.

flychickshere1819
New in Town

Postby flychickshere1819 » September 10th, 2010 6:49 pm

There is actually a section on the website which helps people find a way to start on the website. :)

http://www.japanesepod101.com/help-center/the-courses/

But I do believe like most people have said previously, learning Hiragana and Katakana is essential first so you can get to grasp with the Japanese Alphabet.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » September 10th, 2010 8:27 pm

Well, it is in the wrong section of the forum, which probably doesn't help. But the forum doesn't tend to be very active anyway. However you decide to use JPod, I think it's worth backing up your studies with a beginner textbook for a bit more structure. Kana doesn't take long to learn, so just start learning it and it'll be over before you know it. Just make sure you learn the correct stroke order. As for flashcards, throw the paper in the recycling bin and download Anki. If you want more help and advice and resources for studying the language and learning kanji, check out Kanji Koohii

bdrake
New in Town

Postby bdrake » September 26th, 2010 4:57 pm

Jonkerman wrote:im realy getting the impression that no body whants to help eatch other here.
or even whants to give anny tips, advice or even anny comment.

Welcome, Rene.

It's more likely that we don't read the forum so often; I only poke my head in here about every six months.

I've been studying Japanese for about a year and a half, mostly through JP101. I tried learning the kana at first, but I'm not good at rote memorization like that; I'm better if I have a mental context in which to use it. So I put the pen and brush aside, and I've only been listening to the newbie and beginner audio lessons for the last year (I drive a lot for work, so I get to listen for 1-6 hours every day). I try to talk along with the lessons. Unfortunately, since I'm driving, I can't look at the PDFs at the same time.

I'm just now getting to the point where I feel writing will be useful and easier to retain. My spoken comprehension is good enough that I will be able to write simple sentences to reinforce the association of the kana and kanji with the sounds, so it is time to pick up the pen and brush again.

English is much more of a mixture than it is a dialect of a single family. We have many many latin words as well as germanic. I have studied German, Spanish, and French myself, and I find the etymology (origins) of English words fascinating. Japanese is my first eastern language, and I'm enjoying it very much!

Good luck with your studies!
--
Barry

graynod
New in Town

Postby graynod » September 26th, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi Rene,
Sorry, as with others, I don't hit the forums much, but your question showed up in the sidebar (???) under "5 Most Recent Forum Posts" and I noticed it.

I've had this same question, but yes, if you dig around there is some info I've found about where to start with the lessons here. Also, just today an email came out (News # 115) that indicates that a lot of work has been done to guide users in the future along the path. Try searching the forum for "Getting started" or the like.

As for me, yes I would say you've _got_ to learn the kana first! I listen to the audios over and over again, and I am trying to enter more and more stuff from the PDFs into Anki. I would consider Anki a must. I also have King Kanji on a Dell Axim pda, and carry that & the audio everywhere so I can practice pretty much all day. Once you master the kana, you can use King Kanji to practice writing kanji; I agree, writing them over and over helps me best.

I'm not able to make full use of all the tools available on this site myself due to my schedule, so I download lots of the audio and PDFs and listen to and from work as I travel about, and if I get too scrambled I will look at the corresponding PDF for clarification.

Also, it's good to just enjoy the journey, don't get in a hurry! Good luck and have fun.

Return to “Practice Japanese - 日本語を練習しましょう”