Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

What's my name in Japanese? (make requests here!)

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » March 10th, 2007 2:56 am

Possibly try: Raul Martinez => ra-ru mateinezu => ラール マティネズ

saiyukano
New in Town

Postby saiyukano » March 10th, 2007 3:05 am

Alan wrote:Possibly try: Raul Martinez => ra-ru mateinezu => ラール マティネズ
arigatougozaimasu

Get 40% OFF
Raytrace
New in Town

Postby Raytrace » March 12th, 2007 11:15 pm

My name is Azmi Maniku which is quite easy to translate keeping almost the entire pronunciation the same (i'm thankful for that).

アズミ マニク
azumi maniku

Strangely enough, my first name turns into a very japanese sounding name. i wonder if i can get away with using hiragana or even kanji(if there is one). :D

AtlantaAikidoka
New in Town

Postby AtlantaAikidoka » March 14th, 2007 10:06 pm

Just started listening to the podcasts. I'm trying to figure out how to introduce myself and was wondering what my name would be in Japanese.

My name is Jason Guzman.

Thanks for any help. :)
Jason Guzman
Atlanta, GA USA

ctsniper86
New in Town

Postby ctsniper86 » March 15th, 2007 8:17 am

Hi, just found this podcast and am trying to figure if i got my name right in english it's

Ben Hunter (nice and simple)

is this right

べんふなた in hiragana

and

ベンフネタ in katakana?

Please let me know if i got it right

Thanks

MattTheCat
Been Around a Bit

Postby MattTheCat » March 17th, 2007 8:37 am

That would romanize to "Ben Funata" or "Ben Hunata" for the hira and "Ben Funeta" or "Ben Huneta" for the kata.
I'd go with
べんはんたあ
ベンハンター
"Ben Hantaa"

ctsniper86
New in Town

Postby ctsniper86 » March 17th, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks very much

ありがとう ございます

Third_Child
New in Town

Postby Third_Child » April 3rd, 2007 12:08 am

Hello. I'm new here and I'm finding the podcasts to be VERY helpful and informative. I was just wondering how my name would translate into Japanese.

Stephen Bell

Thanks in advance!

(I would just like to add that my name is pronounced Steven, not Stefen)

MattTheCat
Been Around a Bit

Postby MattTheCat » April 6th, 2007 1:22 am

It's romaji (roumaji, roomaji, and the one with the umlaut which I'm too lazy to type out). There's no "n" sound in it.

I would guess that the romaji would be "De Jodo Maikaru" would be デ ジョド マイカル in katakana. It does depend though, there's a few different ways to pronounce "Michael" that I know of, and probably more that I don't.

dzeychain
New in Town

Postby dzeychain » April 6th, 2007 3:55 am

Hi, my name is Dawn. I was wondering if it would be more correct to try to spell out Dawn, or to do a literal translation of "dawn" (sunrise) ?

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » April 6th, 2007 8:38 am

Yoshiko is also a literal translation of my name. But I think I would'nt use it.
It would be:
Aafke アフケ
van Ewijk バン エワイク 
of 'a-fu-ke' and 'ba-n' I'm quite sure, but 'e-wa-i-ku' is a guess.
I don't know what to make of 'ij'. Also 'aa' and 'e' (in this case) are long vowels, but not like the long vowels in Japanese. And 'e' in 'Aafke' is more like the 'u' in the English 'hut'.

In may, I'm doing exams for my black belt (karate) and I will get (I hope) a belt with my surname on it in Japanese. But as they will only see my name on paper, I wonder if it'll work. I fact, it doesn't matter. because the other karateka can't read it - it's in Japanese. :roll: Very useful. But it looks nice.

jsherwood
New in Town

Postby jsherwood » April 9th, 2007 8:27 pm

I would like to know the Romaji version of my name, please:

Joan Sherwood

Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

In a business setting in Tokyo, would I introduce myself using Romaji or the English pronunciation? And would I put my surname first, in Japanese fasion? Or would my associates assume that I would introduce myself with surname last?

Domo aregato.

grimmjow
New in Town

Postby grimmjow » April 13th, 2007 3:11 am

I as well would like to know how to write and say my name is japanese, i am new and it would help with my introductions and greetings. My full name is Enrique,Sabatel but i guess in japan it would be Sabatel Enrique right?[/b]

Mist
New in Town

Postby Mist » April 13th, 2007 9:21 am

Hajime mashite.
I'm wondering if someone can help me with figuring out my name in japanese. While I am quite curious about how it would be written, I'm even more curious about how my first name would be pronounced.

My name is CJ London.

I know my last name is a piece of cake to figure out how to pronounce, because it's in the intro to all the lessons. I'm just not sure how abbreviations would work.

Arigato!

Gaikokujin
New in Town

Postby Gaikokujin » April 13th, 2007 9:50 pm

CJ, eh?

I think the 'J' sound would be written in katakana as ジェイ (jei), and the 'C' would have to be a straightforward シー (shī).

So, if you like being called 'see-jay', then in Japanese you'd be シージェイロンドン, Shījei Rondon.

You might want to get that verified with someone who knows a bit more about the ins and outs of Japanese naming conventions, though.
Last edited by Gaikokujin on April 15th, 2007 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
外国人!

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”