Or sign up using Facebook

Buying an Apartment

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jon928
New in Town

Buying an Apartment

Postby jon928 » October 19th, 2006 11:54 am

]Hi,
I am looking to purchase an apartment (or house) in Tokyo.
I am Australian whilst my partner is Nihonjin.
I do not intend to take up permanent residency in Japan.
Has anyone any experience in buying real estate in Japan?

I would be grateful to make contact with someone who has actually gone through the ropes.

Thanks in Advance. :D
Jon Holmes
(Melbourne, Australia)

Shirow102
New in Town

Postby Shirow102 » October 25th, 2006 1:00 am

LOL. Good luck. I heard that because of the dire "middle-man situation" over there with the wacky concept of house-hunter agents, finding a place to live in Japan is brutal.

Check the Quirky Japan website for the "10 most useless people/jobs" in Japan. Housing agents are on there.
Life is a pursuit for truth, where the journey is just as important as the end.

Kokoro no koe: kono Tenchi no koe desu.

Oh, Lord, let me be right, for as Ye well know, right or wrong, I will never change my mind.
-Old Scottish Prayer

Get 40% OFF
jon928
New in Town

Postby jon928 » October 25th, 2006 1:10 am

Ha ha...yeah you could be right.

I have come across an Aussie women working as Estate Agent in Tokyo so that may come to something.

Jon

Shirow102
New in Town

Postby Shirow102 » October 29th, 2006 12:49 am

Yeah, sorry to sound all negative there. I do hope it goes well for you.

If you don't mind, please post back here to let us know how it all goes for you, and what you thought of the process.

I've never been, I only known what I've heard from my prior Japanese teacher who is from the Tokyo area, and a fellow student who lived there for a year,...and, of course, the Quirky Japan website ;)
Life is a pursuit for truth, where the journey is just as important as the end.

Kokoro no koe: kono Tenchi no koe desu.

Oh, Lord, let me be right, for as Ye well know, right or wrong, I will never change my mind.
-Old Scottish Prayer

JB
New in Town

Actually it is not too bad these days

Postby JB » November 16th, 2006 5:32 am

We almost bought earlier in the year but pulled out for various reasons. Anyway we successfully submitted 3 bank loan applications without too much hassle and had very good loan offers.

I am a Brit married to a Japanese lady but so far just on a spouse visa. Some other things that people tell me were positive for my application are that I have worked for my current company for 10 years, the last 5 of which in Japan, and have a little one - so showing commitment to Japan (apparently :roll: )

Also they say you should have a 20% deposit but they were prepared to offer me 100% loan and more to cover the estate agents fees - if I needed it!

So don' be put off it is doable and I know people that have done it.

JB

patchmonkey
Been Around a Bit

Postby patchmonkey » November 16th, 2006 8:42 pm

JB - One reason it was easy for you is that you're married to a Japanese lady.

I hear it's incredibly difficult to do if you're not married to a Japanese (or if you're not a foreign lawyer).

SteveG
New in Town

Postby SteveG » February 13th, 2007 12:05 am

Hello Everyone,
I know this thread has been inactive for quite a while, but I have a question I'd like to ask as well. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a house in Japan while one a student visa? I am planning to go to Japan to get my PhD in a few years and am intrigued by the possibility of buying a small house instead of paying rent for a tiny apartment.

I realize that securing a bank loan on a student visa would be pretty much impossible, but judging from some of the home prices I've seen I think I could most likely afford to buy a small house outright without the need for a loan. The question I have is would the Japanese government let me do this?

I would be most appreciative if anyone has some information on this subject or can direct me to where I can find some.

Thanks,
Steve

ssocko123
New in Town

Postby ssocko123 » February 13th, 2007 7:16 am

___
Last edited by ssocko123 on May 17th, 2007 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

JonB
Expert on Something

An update

Postby JonB » April 5th, 2007 4:14 am

First of all - apologies I messed up when signing up so JonB and JB are the same...

Well I am finally a land owner in Tokyo! No we just need to decide on a builder :?

Once we decided on a place it was just a question of following the check sheet - but boy is the check sheet long :shock: But one thing I can confirm - realtors are the same the world over (I'll leave the rest to your imagination!)

Applying for a loan was realtively easy. We only actually applied to two banks Mizuho and Mitsui. Mizuho we found really flexible and helpful, Mitsui we found the usual chek lists etc that we expected. For up to 5 years fixed their rates were the same and beyond Mitsui was slightly better but not by enough to offset the Mizuho flexibility.

But boy what a lot of forms - don't ask how many I completely lost count after the first 10 or so!!! You will need to be able to write your name and address in Japanese and you will need a hanko that has been registered. A hanko serves as a signature but that does not mean someone else can fill out your name and address - oh no! You must do that yourself so get practicing...

I got the feeling Mizuho were so flexible they would even lend you the agents fees, taxes etc so 100%+ loan. But you will need enough for a deposit beforehand - we paid 500万円to the builder but again that is negotiable, normally they want about 10% at that stage.

It's not all doom and gloom these days buying in Japan. But I am sure it was made easier due to my Japanese wife and the fact that I have worked for my present company for over 10 years. Looking at the forms and talking to them I think it would be very difficult to purchase with less than three years employment in you current company - some things they just won't budge on!

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”