Or sign up using Facebook

JET CIR

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Preethi
New in Town

JET CIR

Postby Preethi » August 8th, 2009 12:41 pm

Hey,

I want to apply for the JET CIR position. Does anyone know how much Japanese you need for this?

Thanks

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » August 10th, 2009 1:16 am

From what I hear, you use a lot of Japanese, so you should have JLPT level 2 at the very least. :)
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Get 40% OFF
zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » August 10th, 2009 2:24 am

I was not a CIR, but I was a JET so I knew a few CIRs. JLPT level 2 is probably the starting point, although I don't think you need to have actually passed the test if you can show some kind of equivalent knowledge. Every CIR I knew had studied abroad in Japan or had lived in Japan previously (one was a former Mormon missionary, another born and raised in Japan to foreign parents). Many were Japanese majors and others had taken several years of Japanese in college. The interview for CIRs, as I understand it, is entirely in Japanese and also requires some translation (from a newspaper or some other sort of similar material). If your Japanese is good enough to get through that, then you're probably ok. However, CIR positions are limited, so they may ask you if you would be willing to take an ALT position if you're on the lower end. In that case, I'd recommend saying yes because you can always spend a year as an ALT improving your Japanese and apply to switch to a CIR position.

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » August 11th, 2009 11:24 am

Good to know Zakojyanai :)

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”