a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Procedures for changing your address in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Procedures for changing your address in Japan

Postby untmdsprt » June 20th, 2009 1:43 am

I moved back in March, and went to the new address' city hall for a change of address and to apply for the national health insurance.

Should I have gone to the old address' city hall and told them I'm moving? I'm still getting health insurance bills for the old address, and now getting the resident tax bills.

Thanks!

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » June 20th, 2009 4:47 pm

You need to submit a notification of moving out to the old address' city hall within a couple weeks before you move out.
Otherwise, you have to pay them both cities.

a notification of moving out = 転出届け (てんしゅつ とどけ)

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 30th, 2009 10:10 pm

My boyfriend confirmed with Yokohama that no notification was given so they didn't know I had moved. He said it was just common sense that you put in a change of address at the old and new places. I told him it may have been common sense for him, but NOT for me. Nowhere in Yokohama's guide to living did it say you had to go to both city halls to cancel one and apply to the other.

Is there a service which will provide help to people new to the area? Will they tell you everything you need to know about setting up a bank account, what your bills are called, and even changing your address such as this? I certainly never received any help from any employer since I've been here. I've learned everything on my own, but mainly when somebody starts screaming of "why haven't you done that?"

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » July 1st, 2009 2:53 pm

I doubt there is any such service, in any country.
It's unfortunate.
It could be worse, Britain's prototype koseki-like system with gaijin cards for all wants to have £1000 fines (150,000円、$1500, 2 weeks average wage) for not notifying a change of address.

I came across this today and thought of your post.
http://www.debito.org/?page_id=582

I can't say I'm a fan of Debito. He seems to have a huge chip on his shoulder and I think many of his tactics are self defeating.
But he's co-written this handbook and it might be of use to you if you can browse through it in a bookshop first. It might not be specific enough for your needs.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » July 1st, 2009 10:47 pm

I don't particularly care for him either. He seems like he's hell bent in prying open the minds of the Japanese to be open to everything. This is a closed society, and will probably always be a closed society. The book though does look like it will be an interesting read.

You'd think that the government would provide information to people coming here to work or live. You'd also think they'd provide local language classes so the newcomers will fit in better. Sad that they want all these native English teachers, and yet can't or won't provide them with housing, and help them adjust to their new lives.

Other than the military people here, we don't live in an English bubble.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”