Or sign up using Facebook

Gap year in Japan - ideas?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Daifuku
New in Town

Gap year in Japan - ideas?

Postby Daifuku » April 18th, 2009 7:49 am

Hi everyone :),

I'm currently about to finish my last year of high school in the UK, and am taking a gap year before university. The plan is to immediately start working full time for a few months, then take all the money saved up and go out to Japan on a working holiday visa for as long as I can afford. I have uni interviews in December, so January seems like a realistic target to me to go out there. I'm currently a little past JLPT 3 and hoping to work my way up to close to JLPT 2 before I arrive. My purpose of going is to improve my language skills.

My question is, does anyone have any idea of what kind of work I could look for? I'd quite like to work in an office but I'm sure most (if not all) positions would require a degree. I have AAAAA + AEA Distinction for my AS levels, and hope to keep that up this year, but I don't know how relevant, if at all, my qualifications from this country will be.

Thanks!

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » April 18th, 2009 3:11 pm

If your Japanese is JLPT2 level then you could certainly find work at a restaurant in your local area working tables. The other popular choice is teaching English. Just be aware that certain restrictions exist for Working Holiday visa holders:

1. To fully appreciate the many different aspects of Japan, it is advised that the working holiday applicant moves to different areas within Japan at approximately 3-months intervals.
2. Work in nightclubs, bars and cabarets, dance halls, Pachinko bars etc., is not allowed. The Act Controlling Business Affecting Public Morals (Fueiho), Article 2; section 1 and 4, specify these prohibited areas of work.

In regards to finding work I recommend you make contact with the "Japan Association for Working Holiday Makers (JAWHM)".

See: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/programme.html#5

Best of luck! :)
JapanesePod101.com - Forum Admin
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Get 40% OFF
Daifuku
New in Town

Postby Daifuku » April 19th, 2009 1:22 pm

Ah, thank you very much, especially for the JAWHM link. I wasn't aware that I wasn't allowed to do bar work, must go over the fine print for the visa.

Thanks again!

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”