a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Any translators here?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Brody
Expert on Something

Any translators here?

Postby Brody » July 10th, 2006 6:29 am

It has recently come to my attention that most translators don't really speak the language they're translating very well. Seamus Heaney, the man who translated Beowulf, certainly doesn't speak Middle English, but he is celebrated as one of the greatest modern translators.

Is this true?! :shock: Can you be a translator and not speak the language fluently?! How does this apply to modern languages, specifically Japanese?

I've been thinking about what work I can do in Japan and thought I would be relegated to English teaching. I figured that to be a translator one had to speak the language fluently. Right now I am barely at a conversational Japanese speaking ability level. However, I can read and translate almost any Japanese into English.

Is there anyone here that has experience at translation? Right now I can translate most any Japanese into English that I come across. Could I work as a translator in Japan if I only spoke broken Japanese or conversational Japanese? What about the JLPT? Would I have to pass level 1 to be hired somewhere? I'll already have my Japanese bachelor's degree from the University of Utah.

PLEASE tell me I could be a translator while I worked on my speaking skills! That would make my year!

(I don't even dare crossing my fingers!)
AKA パンク野郎

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » July 10th, 2006 8:21 am

Well, you have to consider the dfference between "translator" and "interpreter." They require two very different kinds of skills. As a translator works mostly with written stuff, its important that they have a very deep knowledge of both the original language and the target language. However, speaking and listening are secondary to producing an excellent *written* translation. Interpreters, on the other hand, MUST be fluent in the languages they work with since they have to produce good *spoken* translations very quickly on the fly.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that you would probably have to pass the JLPT at level 1 to be considered for a translator job at a professional company.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 11th, 2006 5:00 am

Jason wrote:Well, you have to consider the dfference between "translator" and "interpreter." They require two very different kinds of skills. As a translator works mostly with written stuff, its important that they have a very deep knowledge of both the original language and the target language. However, speaking and listening are secondary to producing an excellent *written* translation. Interpreters, on the other hand, MUST be fluent in the languages they work with since they have to produce good *spoken* translations very quickly on the fly.

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine that you would probably have to pass the JLPT at level 1 to be considered for a translator job at a professional company.

JLPT 2 is usually good enough, provided that it's technical translating. Technical translators use translation memory software (i.e. TRADOS) that remembers all of the vocab and most of the common grammar points for them.

Literary translation is much too complex for translation memory software though. To get a job as a literary translator, I think you'd need to be JLPT 1, perhaps higher. The JETRO test basically picks up where the JLPT ends. http://www.jetro.go.jp/en/bjt/

Of course, you can always do freelance translations, regardless of your level. One of my friends and I were thinking about translating a Japanese book into English. He said the way it works is that you translate the first chapter, or most interesting section, and submit it to a publishing house. If they like it, they give you a contract to buy the book off of you when it's done, and a retainer to tide you over until you're done.

Nowadays, a professional interpreter would likely have to be a native speaker of both languages.

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » July 11th, 2006 5:13 pm

Nowadays, a professional interpreter would likely have to be a native speaker of both languages.

(Censored!!!!) Ah, well, it was a nice dream. guess it's English teaching for me.

thanks for the responses.
AKA パンク野郎

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » December 6th, 2006 10:24 am

It occurs to me that this is the perfect opportunity for someone from Erklaren to chime in. I guess all of our hosts work there... can you guys help us with regard to translating/interpreting qualifications?

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 20th, 2006 12:09 am

I do know a few people here who are doing some interpreting and translating with the automotive or aviation industries, but it's in conjunction with teaching.

level 2 japanese is a necessity. and it helps to have the certificate to prove it.

EvilTeaCup
New in Town

Postby EvilTeaCup » February 2nd, 2007 4:38 am

Go for it Brody! I am not an authority on the subject, (only JLPT2 level and knows very little about the world of interpeting) but it cant be impossible to become an interpetor. Probably really really difficult, but hard work and time makes about anything possible.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”