Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Why do you want to live in Japan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » January 27th, 2009 2:51 pm

jazzbeans wrote:A bus driver let me stay on the bus for less than half the price 'cause I didn't have money, heh-heh. Maybe that's because I'm a girl who also still attended school back then.
Well girls seem to have an easier time talking themselves out of penalty fares in London. Schoolchildren ride bus for free anyhow. I think the overall culture may be more uncaring and tense in London.

jazzbeans wrote: Every country has good and bad points about itself, the UK isn't that bad.

True. But sometimes the balance tips in favour of another country.
On balance, of the countries I have experience of, Japan is quite attractive.
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to find similar work there.

jazzbeans wrote:I love grafitti (but I HATE tagging, HATE it).

I admire talent and intelligence. Unfortunately for every Bansky (or the French guy who does the mosaic space invaders) there are 1000's of inarticulate losers hellbent on destruction. The environment becomes quite depressing and ugly. I've seen a group destroy a railway carriage in 2 minutes with car paint retouching pens.
Even in Japan Tagging seems somehow orderly. There is certainly much less of it.

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » January 27th, 2009 3:49 pm

Taurus wrote:I want to live in Japan because I like it there, and because my wife's from there, and because I want to learn the language (partly so that if we have kids we'll be able to bring them up so that they can talk to both sides of their family).

It's clean, the people are largely friendly and welcoming, the food's great, the TV's funny, the technology is superior and lots of the people look more stylish.

But I guess the grass is always greener, so I reserve the right to change my mind about all of that after prolonged exposure.

Ha ha ha, I am with Taurus on this, on all points. I had an interest in Japan since I was 8 (now in my 30's), and I've been happily married to a nice Japanese girl for 5 years, but dating for over 10. I admit that I too like Japan over where I'm from for the same reasons: food, TV and better technology. That and I've always wanted to be fluent, which I am not at present.

I've been there enough times to know that the grass-is-greener mentality is true. Japan wasn't what I expected the first time or two I visited, and language issues really did become a stressful issue for me, but I've been working hard to overcome them, and that helps.

On the other hand, I've lived in places that were genuinely worse, so I can definitely appreciate things like on-time train service, nice customer service, and plenty of places for one's kid to play.
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

Get 40% OFF
winDragon79
New in Town

Postby winDragon79 » January 27th, 2009 9:05 pm

I wonder myself! :)

I've narrowed it down to my love of the food, culture. and language. Now i'm only 18(just entering college) but I don't think my attraction to the country is blind and set in jello. Blinded by the sparkly coating of anime, robots, and things of that sort. It goes much deeper than that for me. Hopefully on during my trip this year I'll get a clearer idea. :?

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » January 28th, 2009 10:17 am

winDragon79 wrote:I wonder myself! :)

I've narrowed it down to my love of the food, culture. and language. Now i'm only 18(just entering college) but I don't think my attraction to the country is blind and set in jello. Blinded by the sparkly coating of anime, robots, and things of that sort. It goes much deeper than that for me. Hopefully on during my trip this year I'll get a clearer idea. :?

Let us know how it goes. :)

Best of luck on your trip.
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Why do you want to live in Japan?

Postby Ulver_684 » January 29th, 2009 6:54 pm

jazzbeans wrote:Hello,

I was just curious as to why people are going to/want to live/work in Japan, it's interesting. Is it because in certain sectors of the working-world, there are better oppotunities/more money to be made in Japan? Or maybe, some of you want to live in Japan because you have family or someone who's going to move there.

It would be interesting to hear the different stories. For people who already live in Japan, is it a beautiful country? It looks beautiful (I haven't travelled to any part of Japan).

Personally, I would have thought it would be hard for foreigners to live in Japan. But it seems that so many people are interested in it that maybe I got the wrong idea!!

Jazzbeans-san! :wink:

I want to live in Japan because I love the culture, the language, the people and I would like to visit the JP101 crew/staff and Miki-san. Part me is there! :D

visual_gaze
Been Around a Bit

Postby visual_gaze » February 2nd, 2009 10:53 pm

elau1986 wrote:I want to live in Japan, because I want to master the language. I really like the Japanese language. At first, I was simply interested in their music/drama/animation. But when I started to study the language itself i just fell in love with it. I guess thats the main reason why I want to go to Japan. :D

Same here. At first it was mostly because of the anime and manga. Almost everyone discovers anime/manga before discovering Japan, at least thats what i think. Now, im just in LOVe with the country, its culture, language, people, and technology. As said before, kids can be kids and everyone just treats everyone and everything with respect. The gardens are beautiful, everything is clean, the people are wonderful, the TV is THE BEST, the food is GREAT, transportation is sooooo helpful, and their style is unique and amazing. I personaly love the Japanese fashion. whether it be gothic lolita or something as weird as the Ganguro and yamanba girls. Everything just seems to be so much more interesting and fun over there, i love it.

and just a little btw, the guys there are HOT 8)

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”