Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

G.Education Nova

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » March 4th, 2009 12:32 am

I'm assuming your wife is Japanese? Then why are you even messing with teaching at a school? You hopefully have a spouse visa which allows you to work at any job. That's the way to go other than getting citizenship here.

I've been hired by 7ACT and other companies that match students to my level of experience of teaching. I get paid 3000 yen/hour at the station of my choice. Not good in the long run, but at least it's extra income in the short term. It also gives me more experience planning lessons for the students based on what they want to achieve.

Update on Interac: they gave me a load of bull saying that they're waiting to hear on the Kanagawa BOE concerning the contracts for the 2009-2010 school year before they could renew my contract. I had posted a comment on a forum such as this and it upset a lot of people. I got a nasty call from one of the trainers asking why I said such a thing since I misunderstood that my contract was not being renewed but everyone else's is. I told all of them in the office that if they had just come out and said that instead of leading me to believe otherwise, everything would be fine.

BTW, any company who gives you the English in their directions are run by a bunch of morons that have no clue of how to live in a foreign country. Interac is full of such morons, and I always had to demand they send everything in Japanese. The other companies I'm interviewing with are also sending English, and I have to request the map to be in Japanese.

My views on being an ALT: you've got your good schools, and you've got your bad. I ended up with 2 of each. The people at the good schools were more than helpful in helping me learn Japanese during breaks. The bad schools had issues of me learning their language. The down part is you have a lot of free time when you're not teaching or planning lessons. Most of the time you have to work 8:30am - 5:15pm even if you only have one or two classes.

Sorry for the long post, but if this saves someone the hassle, then it's worth it. Come to Japan only if you want to learn the language, experience a foreign country, and their culture. Once I become fluent in Japanese, I plan to get a regular job!

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » March 4th, 2009 12:51 am

untmdsprt wrote:I'm assuming your wife is Japanese? Then why are you even messing with teaching at a school? You hopefully have a spouse visa which allows you to work at any job. That's the way to go other than getting citizenship here.

My Japanese isn't really good enough to work at any job. So I figured teaching English would be to hold down a steady wage for a while so I can learn enough to start looking for something else (unless I enjoy the teaching and decide to stick at it).

Get 40% OFF
Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » April 6th, 2009 10:33 am

So anyway, I've been accepted on to the JET scheme, pending medical and police references. Yippee!

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » April 7th, 2009 12:32 am

Congratulations! That's exciting! I know the competition is tough for JET these days. When do you find out where you'll be placed?
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » April 7th, 2009 1:00 am

Thank you! It does seem to have been a tough year, judging by the responses of posters over on the JET forums, so while I'm happy that I've got a place, I feel bad for those who weren't so lucky.

And I find out where I'll be placed in May, apparently. I think I put down Kanagawa, Nara and Okinawa as my three choices, but I'd be enormously surprised if I end up in any of those three - which I don't really mind, since somewhere more rural would definitely be better for my Japanese.

Now I just have to get the all-clear from the Police and the doctor!

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”