a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Teaching English

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Joey
Expert on Something

Teaching English

Postby Joey » September 19th, 2008 7:11 am

I've heard lots of people talk about how easy it is to tutor english under the table here, but after 3 weeks, I still can't figure it out lol!
Whats the best way to be able to find people to tutor english to?
(Im an undergrad in need of some financial help..)

thanks in advance.
一期一会

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » September 24th, 2008 3:03 pm

This perhaps might sound a little "captain obvious" but generally at universities in Japan there are departments for example, the international student centre that handle incoming and outgoing exchange student affairs. Through these departments you can find English tutoring work. So, find your equivalent of this department and ask there.

Otherwise, go to the student lounges for your faculty and get talking with people there. They may be in need of a tutor or have had tutoring work themselves.

Also go to the office of the faculty in which you are enrolled and tell them that you are interested in part time English tutoring work. They often assist foreign students in finding part-time work (of any nature) as well as completing applications for work permits. Given that "student visa holders are not allowed to engage in paid activities, unless they attain the permission of the school and the immigration office. Even then, students are only allowed to work a set maximum hours per week. " (Japan-Guide)

Further, if possible pick up whatever "international student handbook" your university publishes. This book should have fairly specific, detailed information on getting part-time work while living in Japan.

Get 40% OFF
Keichan
New in Town

Another idea

Postby Keichan » April 2nd, 2009 3:13 pm

What kind of teaching do you want to do? And do you already speak a little Japanese? The reason I ask is that I have found that teaching kids is a lucrative option. I used a program where I paid for a ready-made curriculum, and all I had to do was hand out a few leaflets and I had 3 classes a week. It was pretty good money too.

It was called "Bilingual Babies" (here's the URL http://sites.google.com/site/bilingualbabiesinc/). They are pretty new, but I had a good experience with them.

zakojanai
Established Presence

Postby zakojanai » April 3rd, 2009 4:08 am

You need to get permission from your school and the immigration office to work. It's not hard to get and doesn't take a lot of time. While the likelihood of getting busted for illegally teaching English is pretty low, that's not the reason to get one. I taught at an English speaking cafe and he wouldn't employ me till he say my visa.

Your town probably has an international center. Find it, because jobs can sometimes be found there. And my school's international office also had a bulletin board where they posted jobs for international students. Check and see if yours has one. And if you're religiously inclined or at least willing to fake it, churches can be a good place to find English gigs. And if your Japanese is good enough, you could consider putting an ad up on your town's mixi group.

hatch_jp
Expert on Something

Postby hatch_jp » April 3rd, 2009 11:22 am

I think the following site would be helpful for you to find your students.

http://www.findateacher.net/

* Be sure to get permission to work in Japan!

unique07
New in Town

Postby unique07 » August 5th, 2009 4:31 am

In my opinion English institutes are the best way to find good tutor for English. This is my experience and you also trying this. english courses

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 13th, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks everyone! I'm going to check out these sites myself since I need to find a second job to make ends meet. :(

You can also find jobs on gaijinpot.com and I'm sure there are a lot of them out there where you can set your own hours.

FYI, I would stay away from Interac. They weren't truthful with me at the end of my contract. They also didn't bother to give me notice of how I was doing and what areas I needed to improve in. Since this was my first year of teaching, it would have been nice to know what I was doing wrong so I could stop it, and get better.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”