Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

JET Scheme

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » August 13th, 2008 4:00 pm

I think my language skills are too basic to secure a job in the games industry. I think the JET Scheme would give me time to develop my language skills, and also an opportunity to try something different.

binz
Been Around a Bit

Postby binz » August 13th, 2008 4:38 pm

Taurus wrote:I think my language skills are too basic to secure a job in the games industry. I think the JET Scheme would give me time to develop my language skills, and also an opportunity to try something different.

I read somewhere JET is not the way to learn Japanese, you will be thinking and speaking Japanese for the most part. Just use japanesepod101.com! ;)

Get 40% OFF
Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » August 13th, 2008 4:54 pm

Yeah, I've heard that too, but I can't think of another way of getting a job with only basic Japanese...

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » August 13th, 2008 11:33 pm

Maybe you can get JapanesePod101.com to hire you. :D Learn on the job.
They must have something you can "produce" :D
お茶漬け海苔

Rod Wadd
Been Around a Bit

Postby Rod Wadd » August 14th, 2008 2:27 am

JET is a great way to learn Japanese, actually. Most JETs work in rural areas and in offices or schools full of people with very little interest in English. Aside from students and English teachers, everyone else you meet you could easily communicate with in Japanese. But it's really up to the individual to motivate themselves to do so.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » August 17th, 2008 7:08 pm

ochazuke wrote:Maybe you can get JapanesePod101.com to hire you. :D Learn on the job.
They must have something you can "produce" :D

I think they'll need some persuading. Maybe a new series of lessons about swearing in Japanese or something (that link contains very strong language, by the way).

But failing that, one of the things that appeals about the JET scheme is the possibility of being sent to a rural area, because I think I'd quite like to experience that aspect of Japanese culture.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » August 17th, 2008 10:40 pm

Taurus wrote:But failing that, one of the things that appeals about the JET scheme is the possibility of being sent to a rural area, because I think I'd quite like to experience that aspect of Japanese culture.

I feel the same way. After being in Japan twice now, the most enjoyable times I've had have been outside of the cities, in smaller towns. I tend to find the scenery more enjoyable, and the people seem to be nicer.
お茶漬け海苔

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”