Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How is Hitachi-shi, Ibaraki? The town, the school, the surf.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

yourhighness
New in Town

How is Hitachi-shi, Ibaraki? The town, the school, the surf.

Postby yourhighness » June 5th, 2006 9:39 pm

Hi everyone!
Let me introduce myself. My name is Johannes. Living in Gothenburg, Sweden as of today but are leaving for a half year long trip to China in two weeks time. In a year or so I would like to move to Japan so I could master the language we all love. I have been looking for a language school near a surfable coast in Japan and I think I have found one now ( http://www.jsdi.or.jp/%7Enihongo/index.en.html ).

It is located in Hitachi-shi in the Ibaraki prefecture. Are there anyone here at the forum who knows anything about the city or the school? It would be great to here about the place that possibly could become my home for two years and also about the institution that would guide me towards my goal of learning japanese.

If someone knows about another school near good surf spots please be free to enlighten us all.
---
---
/南山ヨハネス

Peter
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Peter » June 8th, 2006 4:32 pm

Johannes-san, Peter here. That school is where I started!!!!!! How did you find it! I absolutely love Hitachi! It is the first place I lived in Japan, and I found it amazing. You can see the mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. The only minor drawback for me was the city and the ocean were a bit dirty. Not a problem though, as you can take a train to some nice surfing spots (by Japanese standards). The people are top notch, and there is nice ex-pat bar, bardega. And when the cherry blossoms bloom, the main street is amazing!
http://www.city.hitachi.ibaraki.jp/uplo ... vorite.htm

The school was great! Small sized classes, really cool teachers, really loved it. Still my favorite school! My classmates were all from China. Please let me know if you need more info. I will call the school to see if anyone I know is still there! Ibaraki!!
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Get 40% OFF
yourhighness
New in Town

Postby yourhighness » June 11th, 2006 2:03 am

Cool. Peter-sans school!!! Is there a better reference? I absolutly love JPod101, I have lived with you guys everyday the last three or so months. Not only is the lessons ichiban but the best thing is that you inspire me to study more by myself. I just can't stop! Two hours feels like ten minutes. Peter and everyone at jpod: You are the best!

I found the school on a swedish forum for "gonna learn japanese in japan"-people. After I hade asked if someone new a school near good surf spots a guy gave me the url and sad he was going to go there soon. He is also hoocked on surfing.

I wonder a few things concerning the Hitachi school and city:
Is it a good idea to take a 2 year course or is it better to start with only 1 and see if you like the school, the place, the surf.
Do you recommend the dorm rooms the school can offer or do you think it is better to rent a room/flat outside the school?
With a student Visa; is it legal to work? I am a bartender or could maybe teach english (or Swedish!! hehe).
Do you know if there are any aikido-dojo or Suzuki talent school in the city?

Thanks for a great job with the poscasts.

By the way: It feels like we have lost it all. That many chances and not a singel goal. 0-0 against Trinidad & Tobago really sucks!!!
---
---
/南山ヨハネス

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”