Or sign up using Facebook

Studying in Japan...a good choice?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

MeLLeoNae
New in Town

Studying in Japan...a good choice?

Postby MeLLeoNae » March 27th, 2008 9:42 pm

hello everyone!

being part japanese, I really want to study in Japan. My plan is to major in foreign studies. Curently a sophomore in high school, i've been really anxious about deciding what to do in life. Next year, Im going to be a junior and thats the year when they say it's time to apply for universities. I've already narrowed down my list of Japanese colleges I want to go, namely my top 2 are : Waseda University and Tokyo University of Foreign Studies.

The problem is....the expenses. How much do you guys think it would cost me to leave for Japan...study there...and perhaps live there for 4 years. I know its gonna cost a lot! However, I'm more worried about the lviving expenses in case these colleges don't have dorms....andoh getting a part-time job as well.

P.S. I haven't told my mom about my plans. She's gonna freak when she finds out! I don't know how to break it to her.

thanks guys!

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Re: Studying in Japan...a good choice?

Postby kc8ufv » March 27th, 2008 10:33 pm

If you are serious about learning a language and culture, immersion is the best option. As far as cash reserves neccessary for 4 years of college, I can't really comment, although I can say your expenses will vary depending on how much you eat out, and what you plan on doing in your free time. (It's generally more expensive to eat out than eat at home, although, based on an informal thread over at thejapanesepage.com, (thread no longer available due to site redesign) that compaired prices of McDonalds in the States, Japan, and some other parts of the world, and pricing was comparable everywhere after exchange rates. )

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”