Or sign up using Facebook

Teaching german in japan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Saufkultur
New in Town

Teaching german in japan?

Postby Saufkultur » March 5th, 2008 5:10 am

Hello everyone,

as you can read in the subject, I have a few questions. I am 23 years old and I have to decide what to do in the near future. I think as I am still young enough, I want to set out for the world and experience new cultures and languages. So here are my questions:

First I wanted to ask, if there is a possibility to get some kind of part time job in japan as a teacher for the german language, without any other qualification then being a native German speaker.

Even if the first one would be possible, there is still another problem. I can't speak japanese, nor do I know a lot about the japanese culture. But as I am very interessted, I wanted to ask if there is a possibility to give the lessons in english. As you can probably see, my english isn't on the native level, but still not that bad.

I know people tend to suggest the way of visiting japan for a few months and then to decide. But I am asking about the other way, because I am not able to spend that kind of money, just for gaining the experience. And please don't answer in a rude way, I am not thinking that it would be easy, as well as I have my own reasons to choose japan.

It would be nice if someone could give me an answer.

H. Martens

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » March 6th, 2008 3:06 am

Hello, have you tried Dave's ESL Cafe? It's a website that posts jobs for teachers. You might get lucky and find a job through it. Gaijinpot.com is also another place to look for jobs. Unfortunately, most of them require you to already to be in Japan.

I've been employed by Interac, and I had to prove that I was in an English environment for 12 years. I had to give all schools I've attended, with dates, and also had to provide an official copy of my university transcripts. The Japanese government requires you to have a BS degree (4 years of university level schooling) in any field.

If you find such a school that wants a native German speaker, you may also have to prove a German environment. Do yourself a favor and get a 4 year degree.

Get 40% OFF
markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » March 6th, 2008 3:47 am

i've met quite a few people who are teaching german in japan. so i don't think it would be too difficult to do. as untmdsprtさん said, you do need a university degree - that's a requirement of the immigration office, not the language schools. 8)
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”