Or sign up using Facebook

Where to study...?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Beliskna
Been Around a Bit

Where to study...?

Postby Beliskna » January 6th, 2008 12:38 am

Hi everyone,

I have been considering taking a short break to Japan to see some sites and experience some culture. I am also thinking of doing an intensive study course for three or four weeks during this break (longer is out of the question because of work... awol sucks...).

I would really appreciate to hear from anyone who has done this, and indeed from anyone who has an opinion.

Kind regards,

Mark :?

sinbadx81
Been Around a Bit

Postby sinbadx81 » January 18th, 2008 4:51 pm

I posted this link in another thread. Yamasa is apparently a pretty decent school for study. I had a friend say it was a good experience. It's located just outside Nagoya.

http://www.yamasa.org/acjs/english/location/index.html

Get 40% OFF
Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » January 18th, 2008 9:36 pm

So far my only trip to Japan (and probably the only reason I can speak with any proficiency at all) was to the Yamasa institute there in Okazaki. It was a great experience, but if you're not used to speaking Japanese you will have to review a lot of familiar material until you can speak it. This frustrated a great many students I met, but you've got to trust that the teachers know what they're doing. (Speaking of which,there's sort of a pseudo-mythology on-campus about Yamasa's teachers... how most of them are female, and most of them attractive. No one really knows why. Even so, the favorite of many, including myself, is Mr. Sugita, a towering 6'3"-something multilingual Japanese man who is an absolute natural at teaching.)

Just stay away from the student village if you like quiet nights, clean kitchens and sane bathroom visits. :D If you decide to consider this option and need more info, feel free to PM me or post again here.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”