a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

National Health Care system vs Berlitz's private

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

National Health Care system vs Berlitz's private

Postby untmdsprt » September 10th, 2007 11:57 am

First off I'm coming from a country where private insurance just doesn't work!! Would I be better off enrolling myself in the Japanese national plan, or just stay with Berlitz's? They offer overseas traveler's insurance which pays 100% of medical costs but doesn't cover dental, maternity, pre-existing or reoccurring illnesses, etc.

I've gotten an estimate that the national one costs about $70 - $100 per month. How much better are they? It also seems like they aren't dependent on your job, but rather if you switch jobs your insurances goes with you.

Thanks!

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » September 11th, 2007 8:32 am

I think legally you have to be enrolled in the National Scheme and it would be deducted from your pay and paid by your company. This covers the first 70% of the bill and if you have to pay out more than 80,000 yen in one tax year you can put that on your tax return to get (some) reimbursed.

There are many private schemes running around as well but that is your option. But no matter how large it is (I use Cigna) you still have to pay up front and claim back through the plan provider.

The national scheme also covers dental which most of the private plans don't. But it is very hard to find a dentist with English that takes it - I know one in Tokyo that does but that took a lot of searching.

The main benefit of private insurance for me has been around pregnancy/birth. This is not covered by the National Scheme as that is not viewed as a medical condition here.

If you are not planning on becoming pregnant (or partner) the I would stick with National.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 11th, 2007 9:09 am

I don't plan to become pregnant, but I'll cross that bridge whenever I finally meet the right man. I certainly don't plan to be a single mother!

I probably will get on the national plan with or without my employer's help.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”