a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

non English teaching jobs in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

madigan82
New in Town

non English teaching jobs in Japan

Postby madigan82 » August 22nd, 2007 3:35 am

I'm 25, have a BS in ISDS (MIS) and am a network engineer. My Japanese sucks (no reason to lie) but wondering about jobs that don't require a high level of skill at speaking/reading Japanese in the IT field. Anybody have some experience with this?

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Re: non English teaching jobs in Japan

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » August 23rd, 2007 8:51 pm

madigan82 wrote:I'm 25, have a BS in ISDS (MIS) and am a network engineer. My Japanese sucks (no reason to lie) but wondering about jobs that don't require a high level of skill at speaking/reading Japanese in the IT field. Anybody have some experience with this?

I was looking into it, and came across this website :

http://www.careercross.com/en/

You can do a search for jobs there by putting your level of both Japanese & English. I've seen jobs listed that require no Japanese at all.

Good luck.

Get 40% OFF
madigan82
New in Town

Postby madigan82 » August 23rd, 2007 11:18 pm

Awesome find. I saw a few sites around that show what level of Japanese they neede but all said Business, Fluent, or Native which I'm a far cry from. I'm not looking to move for another year so that will give me some time to work work on my Japanese.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 3rd, 2008 11:34 am

They have a mailing list which I keep myself on. Everyday I get a listing of new jobs posted.

Most IT jobs seem to be finance related...at least those available to foreigners.
お茶漬け海苔

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » April 5th, 2008 10:37 pm

Does anybody know if there are many jobs for English-language writers in Japan? Copywriting, for instance, or script-writing/localisation work? Reporting positions for western media outlets? Only that's how I make my living at the moment, and my girlfriend would like to go back to Japan. I don't think many Japanese-language publications will be falling over themselves to secure the services of my rudimentary (about JLPT 4) Japanese comprehension.

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Re: non English teaching jobs in Japan

Postby gerald_ford » May 23rd, 2008 7:57 pm

madigan82 wrote:I'm 25, have a BS in ISDS (MIS) and am a network engineer. My Japanese sucks (no reason to lie) but wondering about jobs that don't require a high level of skill at speaking/reading Japanese in the IT field. Anybody have some experience with this?

I'd say odds are against it. I am about 30 and have worked in IT for about 8 years, and likewise have only basic Japanese experience. I work in a large company that does have offices in Japan, and it usually boils down to needing conversational Japanese at the very least, but you really have to be sharp with keigo, kenjogo and such since you'll be working in a more hierarchical work environment.

Having done a job interview there (and failed miserably) the important thing to know is that you have to explain what you do in your current role, flently in Japanese. If you can't do that (I couldn't), you won't get past question #1. :)
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » May 26th, 2008 8:26 pm

Hmm, interesting. But I'm wondering how your got an interview in the first place when one of the requirements was to be able to speak Japanese fluently? Usually such things are asked /known via resume or preliminary questioning, not during the interview. It's like being asked "can you program?" when you are applying for a programming job.

Seems a bit strange to me.
お茶漬け海苔

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » June 4th, 2008 7:13 pm

Transfer request from within the company I work for. As to the language issue, there was some debate among groups in Japan and here about what was required. That was not clarified until the interview itself.

But that's not pertinent to the discussion here. :)

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » June 4th, 2008 8:05 pm

gerald_ford wrote:Transfer request from within the company I work for. As to the language issue, there was some debate among groups in Japan and here about what was required. That was not clarified until the interview itself.

But that's not pertinent to the discussion here. :)

You are correct sir. I was just curious. :oops:
お茶漬け海苔

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » June 23rd, 2008 7:45 pm

No worries. Just didn't want to sidetrack the conversation too much. :)

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”